DeLaval on farm SCC tester

Help Support CattleToday:

Knapview

Reaction score
Our DeLaval route truck left a flyer last month - they were featuring an "on farm" SCC tester. Anyone have one & if so, are you pleased with it? Have you taken samples to your vet to compare the consistency of results?

We couldn't justify buying one presonally but are bending our vets ear about buying one for the clinic - right now we have to take a sample to him, which he in turn sends to our nearest vet lab. Slow and expensive...

Appreciate any info!

:D

My vet has the PortaSCC tester; I've heard about the DeLaval but haven't seen it yet. The PortaSCC appears to run ~ $190, seems pretty accurate so far. My vet charges me $2/test so I figure if I talk boss into buying one for the farm, we *only* have to run 80 tests before it pays for itself. LOL. Not really sure if its worth it or not; so far I feel like the cultures give me the best information, and at $2/culture (staph/strep) you bet I know which one I'll choose first, even if I do have to wait 18 hours for the culture result.

ill tell you what id gave my eye teeth for an scc tester when ii was milking.really doesnt matter what it cost if its accrate let me tell you.it will pay for its self fast.sccs will kill your pocketbook.i know id buy 1 an use it if i was milking cows today.

I've only seen it on DeLaval's site, but it looks to be a bit more complex to run than the PortaCheck. The latter is pretty affordable, IMO, and I've really considered buying one for myself, even though I work with a herd...but don't own any cattle. It'd be very helpful in the decision to treat, or not to.

Latest posts