Dehorning...

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
At conception is best. Second best we use the scoops just after weaning.

we try to get to them as soon as possible and all we do is take a snippers and take a tip off unless their bigger than we try to cut it off a ways. if they are bleeding pretty fast all we do is pour a little blood stop powder on it other wise we just leave them.

millstreaminn":3cnbl8q8 said:
greybeard":3cnbl8q8 said:
Barnes is the same as scooping?

IDK what a Barnes is. A scoop is a sharpened piece of steel pipe with a wooden knob for a handle on it.
The scoop I'm talking about has 2 handles that are joined together in the middle with scoops on each one. Push the handles away from each other and scoop out the horn/horn bud.

I've had pretty good success with caustic paste... just a couple snips off the hair in the area, a dab of paste, castrate and tag at the same time, and turn them back out... best to do it after they've nursed so it sets in for a while, and no rain.

I do like using polled bulls, that's the best way!

I used a green band on one a few months ago and thought it worked pretty good, you could tell that she had had horns at onetime because her head was more square on top ,but it nice to not have to deal with all the blood ,flys and everything else that goes with dehorning she never acted like anything was going on, anything I am keeping that will be my method as of right now

At conception here but with Herefords unless you are using a homozygous polled bull still can see a horn once in awhile in polled cattle. We use the paste right after birth if we can feel horns. As long as you apply it right it works great, if we can't detect horns at birth then we usually wait a couple weeks after weaning to de-horn that way you aren't adding more stress that they already have from being weaned.

Not sure why some people still like to leave horns on their cattle. From a safety and welfare standpoint there is no advantage, the animal can potentially cause harm to humans, other animals, or even themselves if they get them caught up in something but there are breeders out there that will swear by leaving the horns alone.

Use to use dehorning paste with great success ! Trim the hair, dab on the paste with a Popsicle stick or tongue depressor, put a strip of athletic tape over each pasted spot, and then put a strip around the calf's head and over the two strips of tape covering the paste. By the time mom got the tape off or the calf got it off, it had done it's thing ! Only once did I get one side and not both ; never did it not work.

Latest posts