Dr Naylor dehorning paste.

Help Support CattleToday:

Chapin81

Reaction score
Just wanted some estimated times how long do you leave it in for. It's being used on Brahmans. 6hrs 12hrs 24 hrs???

Thank you

I'm pretty sure you just put it on and leave it. Some people say to put duct tape over it so that the cows don't lick it off.

Here's page to check out http://www.dehorning.com
Thanks for your comment the reason I asked is because we left a few calves with the paste for over 24hrs and placed gauze and tape around their heads to hold it in place, the next day there was bleeding. Scary! So we took it off. I don't want to keep experimenting because I felt bad for those calf's. I want someone whose actually used it tell me how many hours to use it for.
i did read some info on the link you provided, it states 6 hrs.

Thank you

Used it on one batch of bottle calves, early in my career. Hate that stuff. Can't imagine using it on a calf going back to the cow.

Best time to dehorn is at conception (polled bulls!), but that's not always possible.
I prefer a good electric dehorning/disbudding iron.
Did a 3 month old calf for some friends a couple of weeks back... did cornual nerve blocks first thing after we caught it in the headcatch - before they gave vaccinations, dewormed, implanted... calf gave no indication of discomfort or pain when we burned the hornbuds.
Current recommendations/suggestions are to also give an analgesic, like meloxicam, for post-dehoring pain relief, as the nerve block wears off in a few hours.

Use to use it with good success. Clipped the hair , took a popsicles stick put a dab over the horn bud . Put a strip of athletic tape over each side and then another one around the head . It took momma a couple of days to get it off . Never had any bleeding. Can only think of one time that I got only one side an not the other .

I use it all the time, you don't need a whole lot of it, probably about 1/2cc per horn bud, I spread it so it covers about the size of a dime,
I would NOT try and remove it, you'll just spread it to places it shouldn't be!

Thanks for your comment the reason I asked is because we left a few calves with the paste for over 24hrs and placed gauze and tape around their heads to hold it in place, the next day there was bleeding. Scary! So we took it off. I don't want to keep experimenting because I felt bad for those calf's. I want someone whose actually used it tell me how many hours to use it for.
i did read some info on the link you provided, it states 6 hrs.

Thank you
Most of my clients use the paste, and I've never seen anyone try to remove it. I don't recommend wrapping it with gauze. The bandage presses the paste down against the skin and makes a bigger wound than necessary. That's how you get bleeding. When you cover them, just use a long strip of tape, attached to the sides of the face and slightly tented over the top of the head. It should barely be touching the horn buds, if at all.

I also recommend the Dr. Larson paste over the Dr. Naylor. It comes in a plastic tube that's easier to measure out and apply neatly.

I really like the paste, done at birth. Works well if done right. I don't cover them with anything and I don't remove it. Just a light coat is enough. Can catch anything that's left with a hot iron at branding time if you brand or work your calves at that time. The few that I miss I remove from my replacements before turnout because that's when I brand them.

Having to fix a mistake doesn't occur with a hot iron and done right. There is a ranch in the area that does grow a lot of crooked spurs though.

My vet told me it is done working after 2 hours, so I cleaned it off. Both horns removed successfully (calf was 5 weeks old.)

Latest posts