Dehorning with rings?

Help Support CattleToday:

R. John Johnson

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of this? I was told it was possible, but that it took larger rings that the ones used to castrate. I asked our local vet, but she has never heard of it. I must have had a bad batch of paste two years ago because my heifers this year have more horns than the rest of the herd put together. Just trying to avoid that messy job of cutting them off with the wire saw.

PS 62 live calves on the ground out of 61 cows so far :banana: Don't know how long that luck is going to last.

John

We dehorned 2 this year with bands and worked good, same bands we use for banding.(very little bleeding) We did our first one about 5 years ago and was terriable everytime the horn was bumped it would bleed bad. Decided to try it again and worked very nice.

c farmer":13p2bz29 said:
We dehorned 2 this year with bands and worked good, same bands we use for banding.(very little bleeding)
We did our first one about 5 years ago and was terriable everytime the horn was bumped it would bleed bad. Decided to try it again and worked very nice.
I have seen them real sesnsitive. Evereytime horn was bumped you could tell they hurt.
Cut them off and be done with it.

I know it can be done with goats . . . I also know it is the most painful and drawn out method available for dehorning a goat. Imo it is the most inhumane method.

Never had experience with using ring to dehorn cattle though. We use paste.

Latest posts