Dehorning a 2 year old hereford cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks Ryder. I am a bit hesitant but I'm gonna have it done. I called the vet and he said without examining the animal it's hard to say what method would work best but he's guessing either a saw or using cutting wire, and cauterising the exposed blood vessels. I have no idea what cutting wire is. No one has mentioned that one.

I still say buy someones old show heifer. Then you will have a new pet. i would never put a pet of mine through dehorning. Just think of someone cliping a hole in your skull.

I never said she was a pet. I made statement that she's friendly enough that you COULD "pet" her. I'm too busy to be out playing fetch with a cow.

People have been dehorning forever. It can be done humanely.

livestock101":2c41o98j said:
Thanks Ryder. I am a bit hesitant but I'm gonna do it. I called the vet and he said without examining the animal it's hard to say what method would work best but he's guessing either a saw or using cutting wire, and cauterising the exposed blood vessels. I have no idea what cutting wire is. No one has mentioned that one.

Wire saw - wire cutter - same thing - wire with small teeth/ roughed up edges - and two T handles one at each end of the wire - pull it back and forth - cuts like a hot damn - 30 seconds and even the largest horn is off.

Cauterize is the burn I was telling you about.

Get right in there when he is doing this - you will learn a lot.

Bez>

Thanks Bez>. You've been a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate you checking this thread often and answering my questions. Your a true asset to this board.

Latest posts