Dehorning a 2 year old hereford cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Another thing that I failed to mention when we were having our bull dehorned -- the vet was cautious when doing a complete dehorn instead of just tipping. He was concerned that, due to the size of the horn base, that he may cause the skull to crush. Our bull was a 2 year old as well. Just something else to consider.

farmwife":rgub03bc said:
Another thing that I failed to mention when we were having our bull dehorned -- the vet was cautious when doing a complete dehorn instead of just tipping. He was concerned that, due to the size of the horn base, that he may cause the skull to crush. Our bull was a 2 year old as well. Just something else to consider.
thats a concern alright. but in the right hand aint a problem . the bigger the base the more need for a saw just for that problem. ive used the bigs barns type on em but you got too twist and press at the same time too keep from crush'in

I think she is too old to cut a hole in her head bone. I think the best way to dehorn her is to take her to the sale and buy you one without horns.

alabama":7ijmrfxe said:
I think she is too old to cut a hole in her head bone. I think the best way to dehorn her is to take her to the sale and buy you one without horns.
why get rid of a good one just cause of the horns ?

ALACOWMAN":3seqnrrn said:
alabama":3seqnrrn said:
why get rid of a good one just cause of the horns ?

Well if youdon't mind the horns keep her but i still think the best way to get rid of horns is to trade her in.

farmwife":na2m4hq0 said:

That is why you use a wire saw - done them as big as my wrist - no probs.

Funny how such a simple topic leads on.

As for Alacowman - his remarks are quite true - polled removes most horns.

And we have been running horned animals for years with no probs - never could see the excitement over a cow with horns.

Bez>

Bez>":5wjo8obn said:
farmwife":5wjo8obn said:

That is why you use a wire saw - done them as big as my wrist - no probs.
Bez>

I agree completely with using the wire saw at this point, which is what opted to do on our bull -- but the original post was to completely dehorn the cow -- IMO, complete dehorn is not an option.

ALACOWMAN":1iv1s25d said:
some of my best cows are/were horned .course the best dehorner you can buy is a polled bull

I think if they are dehorned at an early age it is OK but at two years old it leaves too big a hole in the head. To hard on the cow.

alabama":1co697cz said:
ALACOWMAN":1co697cz said:
some of my best cows are/were horned .course the best dehorner you can buy is a polled bull

I think if they are dehorned at an early age it is OK but at two years old it leaves too big a hole in the head. To hard on the cow.
true. thats why id time it different and wait till cooler weather.. or just tip em. the only trouble with tippin is you still got to deal with em

alabama":2uk3t8z2 said:
ALACOWMAN":2uk3t8z2 said:

Hole closes up nice in a month.

I still want to know why THIS 2 year old cow needs to be dehorned..cosmetic?Forget it.Nasty disposition? Sale barn. Your own safety? Also salebarn.. Just nosey,not judgemential[/u]

I still want to know why THIS 2 year old cow needs to be dehorned..cosmetic?Forget it.Nasty disposition? Sale barn. Your own safety? Also salebarn.. Just nosey,not judgemential

Wow, simple question and so many replies. Why I want her horns off? Well, she was the first cow we've owned since buying this place.....and will die here. We got pretty attached to her. She's a great cow, one of our best looking and pretty friendly most of the time. One of those cows you can basically "pet". Unfortunately though, she's using the horns as weapons, especially at the feeder. I have been on the opposite end of those horns. She's not aggressive, like charging at me or anything. It's mainly when I'm feeding, she tends to get aggressive over the feed. She starts using her horns to chase the other cattle away from the feeder and I'm usually in the wrong place at the wrong time. From time to time I've had to grab a horn and jump out of the way. (I missed my calling as a high jumper lol). So basically the idea of getting rid of her is just NOT an option in my eyes. I have to get those horns off of her for none other than my own safety.

No problem with you "being nosy". I'm happy to explain myself.

Can someone tell me about tipping the horns. Is it less invasive? What exactly do they do?

Tipping the horn--Doesn't make it hurt less when you get whacked with one,just less "pointy"--OK,see what you mean now- call the vet,see what he/she says,then do it.. :)

livestock101":1g7lhvys said:
I still want to know why THIS 2 year old cow needs to be dehorned..cosmetic?Forget it.Nasty disposition? Sale barn. Your own safety? Also salebarn.. Just nosey,not judgemential

Wow, simple question and so many replies. Why I want her horns off? Well, she was the first cow we've owned since buying this place.....and will die here. We got pretty attached to her. She's a great cow, one of our best looking and pretty friendly most of the time. One of those cows you can basically "pet". Unfortunately though, she's using the horns as weapons, especially at the feeder. I have been on the opposite end of those horns. She's not aggressive, like charging at me or anything. It's mainly when I'm feeding, she tends to get aggressive over the feed. She starts using her horns to chase the other cattle away from the feeder and I'm usually in the wrong place at the wrong time. From time to time I've had to grab a horn and jump out of the way. (I missed my calling as a high jumper lol). So basically the idea of getting rid of her is just NOT an option in my eyes. I have to get those horns off of her for none other than my own safety.

No problem with you "being nosy". I'm happy to explain myself.

Can someone tell me about tipping the horns. Is it less invasive? What exactly do they do?
less stress and quicker healing. not gonna help as far as her using them as a prod though. horns are a great defence for cattle in rough wild country just aint needed under most operations. and can be aggrevating to deal with. pretty much in tippin you just knock the point off but she still can use it.. just a blunt end not likely to tear hide

I still say buy someones old show heifer. Then you will have a new pet. i would never put a pet of mine through dehorning. Just think of someone cliping a hole in your skull.

alabama":36vponzz said:
I still say buy someones old show heifer. Then you will have a new pet. i would never put a pet of mine through dehorning.
  • Just think of someone cliping a hole in your skull.
are you could think about her taking a chunk out of your ass. which for me aint a option. its a long way from the heart done right she want go through near as much as this thread has made it out. dehorning has been done for years. not inhumane

When tipping - you can cut off as much as 6 inches or even more. This would be my suggestion.

See my previous post on this thread about tipping our bull.

ALACOWMAN":2m4o9yrd said:
alabama":2m4o9yrd said:
I still say buy someones old show heifer. Then you will have a new pet. i would never put a pet of mine through dehorning.
  • Just think of someone cliping a hole in your skull.
are you could think about her taking a chunk out of your ass. which for me aint a option. its a long way from the heart done right she want go through near as much as this thread has made it out. dehorning has been done for years. not inhumane

Well I have only seen it done on young cattle and that was enough for me. I only raise Angus so I don't have much experance with horns. I do put out hay in the winter for the lady down the road and some of her cows have very sharp horns. I do keep my eye in them but have never had any try to get too close while I remove strings.

I have dehorned at all ages. It is not a big deal. If you still have snow I would think the cow would be healed up before flies got bad.
I can understand being hesitant about any procedure you have never done or seen done. First time get a vet or a neighbor to do it and watch carefully. Don't let blood bother you. If you get some on you it usually washes off.

Dehorning a bossy cow can work wonders in bringing about an attitude adjustment.

Latest posts