Deer sizes...

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Here medium to large bucks 150-200 lbs
Big nanny does 120-140

D&C you don't need bigger animals you just need to kill more of them. Lol

Ours average 120 - 140 and occasionally up to 180, live weights not field dressed.
It's more to do with soil quality than anything. Not saying population doesn't have some effect but over populated deer on good soil will still out weigh deer on poor soil. It's just like cows. For me to have fat cows on these sandy soils I have to fertilize a lot. I go to Colorado and see cattle grazing in the national forest fatter than mine will ever be. The soils of the Midwest are going to produce bigger deer than these sandy soils across the south.

However sandy soils does seem to produce better football players. :lol2:

The heaviest Georgia buck that I've killed was in 1990 and he weighted 255lbs. field dressed. We killed a lot of bucks in the 90's over 200lbs. And from 1999-2009 none over 200lbs. In 2010 I killed a buck that weighted 237lbs. And a couple of more heavy weights [200+] but none last season. The DNR let the deer numbers get to high and the body weights went down around us. Now things are looking better around here for the folks that like to hunt heavyweights.

Dogs and Cows":2e3c0nt6 said:
Just curious what body size your deer have...after looking at TBs game camera pics. Here where I am we have some decent antlered bucks...but they only weigh in around 120lbs or so...the biggest I have shot was 150lbs about 8 yrs ago. Out does are really small...I mean you could practically throw them into a back pack to haul them out. We are estimated to have between 40-60 deer per square mile in my area. There is a total over population if you ask me...and I am a meat hunter and need bigger animals LOL!!!! My best friend hunted up in Ohio a couple years ago and he said the first deer he saw in the woods he thought was a cow it was so big...compared to what we have. So...what size deer do you all have??

Tim
Tim most around here are small bodied as well....field dress maybe 120. Does even smaller. All of this country could use an infusion of new genetics.

Our does are anywhere from 90-130 lbs and the larger bucks will go over 200. Heaviest deer I've killed weighed 240 but our problem is age more than genetics. Average age is not but a year and a half. Too many people all too happy to shoot the young bucks and this really messes your management up for years.

The biggest racked buck I ever saw here was a 16 point an absolute whoper of a rack, the kicker was the deer dressed out at 110 pounds. Most of our mature bucks dress at 175

Dogs and Cows":1qfwcgec said:
TB...your area sounds like ours! We just have too many I think. It isn't hard to kill a deer anymore. My motto is if its brown its down is because I can't eat the antlers and we love venison. But a few bigger animals would mean less meat processing 8)

Thanks guys!
No management around here for years. Have only been able to kill does the past 25 years or so to hold the population down. Even spikes were illegal for ages.

TexasBred":1845cfq9 said:
Dogs and Cows":1845cfq9 said:
Just curious what body size your deer have...after looking at TBs game camera pics. Here where I am we have some decent antlered bucks...but they only weigh in around 120lbs or so...the biggest I have shot was 150lbs about 8 yrs ago. Out does are really small...I mean you could practically throw them into a back pack to haul them out. We are estimated to have between 40-60 deer per square mile in my area. There is a total over population if you ask me...and I am a meat hunter and need bigger animals LOL!!!! My best friend hunted up in Ohio a couple years ago and he said the first deer he saw in the woods he thought was a cow it was so big...compared to what we have. So...what size deer do you all have??

Tim
Tim most around here are small bodied as well....field dress maybe 120. Does even smaller. All of this country could use an infusion of new genetics.

Ain't that the truth. I saw a spike last year he was pretty big bodied better than the 12 point he was grazing with, but most the deer around here ain't worth shooting they are so small.

Our does here can easily hit 160lbs and the biggest doe we taken three years ago was 203lbs. She was worst eating venison we ever had.The mature bucks here regularly hits 250lbs when not field dressed. Heaviest buck we took had a basketball sized rack, not very impressive but he was 232lbs when field dressed.

Depends on which breed of deer. Our Western Washington blacktails average about 135 field dressed. The biggest blacktail I have helped with was one my uncle shot that field dressed 197. The whitetail over in the northeast corner of the state are about the same size. Maybe a hair bigger. The biggest one I ever got went 160 field dressed. The mule deer are bigger. The biggest muley I have shot weighed 194 for two hanging halves. No hide, head, or legs, and trimmed up pretty good four days after I shot it.

Latest posts