deer size in your neck of the woods

Help Support CattleToday:

A 3 1/2 year old buck will almost always field dress over 200 pounds. A mature doe will field dress about 140. The same with a 1 1/2 year old buck.

I always wondered when talking about deer weights whether people use the live weight or the field dressed weight (no guts). We use the field dressed weight. Average does weigh 100-120lbs. Average bucks weigh 160-180. Thats for a 2.5 year old buck.

Our's are huge..........at least when I first see them. Some of our older does are bigger than our bucks........bucks live weight maybe 140 average, does around 100 or so. There are some big bucks killed every year but they don't get big by being stupid. I love to hunt and don't care if I kill anything unless my freezer gets low. We can kill 2 deer a day during doe days, but only 3 bucks entire season.

Alberta - not unusual to have a buck dress out at the 220 - 240 plus mark.

Does are often dresseed out in the 150 plus mark

Yeah, I know - I know - but it is the truth - western Canadian whitetails are truly far bigger than many could ever imagine. Cold weather - poplar trees and alfalfa - great deer ground.

And I killed all of mine with a 25 - 06 and a 100 grain ballistic tip chronographed at about 3300 fps - one shot and they go 20 or so yards and lay down for their final sleep.

Bez+

Bez...I've seen them on some hunting show...wonder "why would they call those little horns a trophy". Then when they shoot and walk up to it not only are the antlers huge the body of the deer is humongous.

Back in the 60's & 70's, when soybeans were grown from fenceline to fencelne, it was not a big deal at all to shoot a 300 lb. buck around here. Biggest one I ever saw weighed 360. Killed just outside of Selma, Al.

Now they are around 200-240.

MikeC":18azgzmc said:
Back in the 60's & 70's, when soybeans were grown from fenceline to fencelne, it was not a big deal at all to shoot a 300 lb. buck around here. Biggest one I ever saw weighed 360. Killed just outside of Selma, Al.

Down on those plains and praries where you live deer just don't have to work hard to make a living. Now up here in the hills and hollows and poor dirt, it takes all the weight off of 'em just getting around! :D

J. T.":6yip3p2t said:
MikeC":6yip3p2t said:

Down on those plains and praries where you live deer just don't have to work hard to make a living. Now up here in the hills and hollows and poor dirt, it takes all the weight off of 'em just getting around! :D

That, plus we get ours up twice a year to de-worm helps. ;-)

Latest posts