deer size in your neck of the woods

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixon_Club_Calves

Reaction score
so how big weightwise are the deer in your area, id say around ohio a grown deer avgs around 200 lbs and is finished like beef with all the corn and soy beans :D

doe sizes average around 140 lbs, good bucks will average 160-180. They are finished on cotton, peanuts, soybeans and corn. Our deer will get larger than this but our age structure averages 1.5 years. Letting them get to 3-5 years is the key here but we have so many people willing to settle for a trophy spike. :roll:

A good buck here is 150lbs, a good doe is 100 lbs. I'm a horn hunter, 8 point or better. But everybody else's motto is, If i dont kill it someone else will. So they shoot everything that comes through the woods. I just shake my head and go on. :mad: :mad:

oscar p":37hod27k said:
A good buck here is 150lbs, a good doe is 100 lbs. I'm a horn hunter, 8 point or better. But everybody else's motto is, If i dont kill it someone else will. So they shoot everything that comes through the woods. I just shake my head and go on. :mad: :mad:

I feel the same way. We have some Wisconcin genetics in our deer but its all for nawt if you kill everything that is brown. I have three places that I don't allow just anyone to hunt and these farms are big enough that the occassional poacher isn't going to hurt us much. We have some very nice deer on these places but now that I got them I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on them and leave the antlers to the kids and guests. I will however go into kill mode on occassion on the does though.

yea i know what ya mean, the local poacher just moved out of town so the number of deer around here and quality should go up in the next 5 years. A few years ago this fella killed 27 deer, had 27 hanging in his barn. I did however see a big ol 12 point 170 class last season, and as far as local gossip goes, nobody got him, ANOTHER YEAR TO GROW :banana: :banana:

Red Bull Breeder":37p3qmz5 said:
Them trophy spikes make way the best eating, and horn stew don"t seem to be very meaty.

lol ill be the first to admit im trigger happy, so many spikes running around here, one wont hurt to get taken out, fried,grilled,baked, ground into burger etc etc :cboy:

Around here the norm is about 135 to 150 on buck's doe's 100# .From time to time you do hear of one bigger being taken.

rattler

There is a huge variation in the habitat in this state and there are three different species of deer.

Columbia Blacktail are probably the smallest with bucks around 140 and does near 100. Some run a lot bigger but on the average. The ones from up on the islands are a lot smaller at 100 and 75.

Mule Deer are the biggest with 175 pound bucks and 125 pound does with some running much much bigger.

The Whitetail are somewhere in the middle.

Habitat and feed probably plays a bigger role than species. We have areas of 8 inches of rainfall and areas with over 200 inches. A deer living on the edge of an irrigated alfalfa field is going to grow bigger than his cousin living 20 miles away in the desert who has to eat at a fast walk to keep from starving to death.

We got 'coons dang near as big as some of these bucks ya'll talking about. Smart too. I saw one standing on the back of a hog and working corn out the bottom of a timed barrel feeder that was hanging from a limb 8 feet off the ground.

flaboy":hp07zbwd said:
Oh, we have Key Deer also that ain't much bigger than a blue tick hound.

I think I've seen them along the coast before walking in people's yards and such. They are small.

Mature bucks around here go about 135 to 150 lbs on the hoof on average. Does will go about 100 to 110. In Illinois where I lease property mature bucks on the hoof will easily weigh 250 and up. Does will go 170 to 190. Dressed weights for all are lower of course. It is amazing the difference of black dirt farm country and good genetics vs. woodlands and yaller / red soil.