Deer problem

Help Support CattleToday:

Northern Rancher":1kffyukr said:
Shooting a deer in the body with a .22 will just cause them a slow lingering death instead of a quick one. Plus if the federales ever catch you it will be major trouble.Get a high end paintball gun if you want to sting them plus it will be alot more fun painting up the culprits.

Okay, we got a paintball gun (just a little cheap one), so that'll work instead I guess. Thanks.

Those deer'll sure make for good target practice with a paintball gun anyhow. :D

Might as well make it fun-they'll be taking off to fawn in a little bit any to fawn so you hould get a little break in the action then.

My boy shot a deer not to far from a duck cannon two falls ago-they get used to them pretty quick. They are persistant little critters when they find some feed they like. Solid fencing will keep them out-a deerr won't jump very high if they can't see what's on the other side.

If you are going to use the paintball gun approach just put the paintballs in the freezer for a while prior to use. they really will sting when you hit the deer and then you can reuse some of then if really frozen hard they won't break as much. On a person it leves a heck of a welt that that stings like a plastic bullet. Or so i've been told.

Northern Rancher":2bivpznb said:
Shooting a deer in the body with a .22 will just cause them a slow lingering death instead of a quick one. Plus if the federales ever catch you it will be major trouble.Get a high end paintball gun if you want to sting them plus it will be alot more fun painting up the culprits.

I like this paintball gun idea........how far will they shoot accurate enough to hit a deer, 30 yds. ? That would keep the tame ones outa the yard,but not much good in the fields.....................good luck

Frozen paint balls-hmmm now there's an idea. Change colours every day and if you get a rainbow coloured deer eat him lol.

If I'm careful, I can get within ten feet of those deer if I'm sitting still enough...even on a REALLY quiet night.

I surprised about ten of them when I went around behind the bales to take a pic of them. If I had my PbG with me I would've nailed one. ;-)

Okay...what about bear bangers, or those flares that you shoot off using those little pen-type "guns"? Or should I just stick with practicing with the PbG?

Human urine doesn't scare deer-in fact if anything it will attract bucks in the rut-I cured those hunters I guided of their pee jars but taking a whizz under their stand after I dropped them off lol.

How about one of these?
http://www.webeatprices.com/product_inf ... 50dd655040

bomcat1.gif

63DH8, before I clicked on the link, I thought that thing (now defined as an animal scare machine) looked like a bazooka; thanks, but I think I'll stick with the paintball gun. :shock:

Beefy, you want me to pee in the garden?? I hate to say this but the road runs right in front of the garden and...yeah. :oops:

Show us a pic of your first paintball 'kill' lol. Deer get used to cannons-my bow killed a deer with his bow about 100 yards from one once.

Get a Border collie..It'll try to keep them all herded up...I really like the paintball gun idea,sounds like fun,and you can tell fi you get the same ones in the yard or not.. Oh,a 22 bullet can go at least half a mile ,if not a full mile,before it hits something/someone

One of the biggest Grizzlies ever killed was shot by a Cree woman with a .22 in Northern Alberta quite a few years back now. By the way I wouldn't try that myself lol.

Can't say I've got any experience seeing as we don't have deer except in farms. But i was just wondering, would sensor lights work? I mean the ones that come on when you step in a certain area. They might scare them off, and because they're not on all the time they wouldn't get used to them? I don't really know, I'm just guessing.

My preference would be to eat them! I love venison.

Do obey the law, lest I remind you its not hunting season right now and its ill advised to go shooting deer with rifles of any kind right now. Maybe your local game warden can refresh you on the penalties if you need a reminder. On the other hand, the paintball gun is a good idea, but some states probably have some kind of law against shooting animals with them too. If you dont want hefty fines as well as losing your firearms wait till deer season. Just a suggestion.