Deer problem

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas Ranch Man - harassing game animals is against the law in Texas. Paint ball paint will make the game warden's case very easy to prove.

Get into archery and use rubbler blunts on your arrow tips. ;) And you did not hear that from me.

Dusty Britches":y3yvaxii said:
Texas Ranch Man - harassing game animals is against the law in Texas. Paint ball paint will make the game warden's case very easy to prove.

Get into archery and use rubbler blunts on your arrow tips. ;) And you did not hear that from me.

It might be illegal in Texas...but I kinda doubt if it is up in Alberta... ;-)

Have you ever heard of the product Plotsaver? Alot of big hunting ranches use it to keep deer from overbrowsing there food plots in the early stages of growth. Its basically a ribbon type fence that you spray a deterrent on. Supposedly it works very well. Thats if you want to spend the money to buy it. I don't know if it is expensive or cheap. Another option is to put a corn feeder out. It sounds like the native forage isn't up to par so they eat your garden.

IluvABbeef":3kxfj2w6 said:
First of all, I got a fair bit of beeotching and complaining to do to get off my chest.

Every night there's about a dozen deer, all Mulies, that come around the yard and nibble off the new irises growing and the rose buds, and even last summer they were a problem, munching on the beets and trimming off the sweet pea flowers, and chewing out pumpkins and sunflowers.

We've tried to discourage them from eating the pansies that have been just planted in the flower pots by draping netting over top...that seems to work, but those darned deer always seem to find away around. Putting in lights (those outside solar-power lights that some folks put along the driveway) worked for a few days, until they figgered out that it was completely harmless and found the beets chewed right down the very next morning...grrrrr. :mad:

This year, I'm trying to convince Mom that maybe putting a scarecrow up in the garden MIGHT help, but we have a feeling it'll be temporary.

So, after all that rambling, do any of you have any personal tips on any deer replent-strategies? They (the deer) have come back again this spring (as expected :roll: ) and we'd like to be ready for counterattack.

Any tips an' tricks you have are welcome.

I am available for an early bow season - they will tremble at the sound of my name I doubt that any blood would be spilled.

People around me use a propane gun to keep them out of the watermelon patches, but that close to your house it owuld keep you awake all night as well.

I bought myself a 12 MILLION candlepower spotlight the other day.

Maybe it will burn their retinas so that they become blind.

Limomike":n7as9ikx said:
I get a kick out of reading all the ways to rid your place of deer. Dogs will definitely do the trick. My neighbor put up some "white" flags.. thinking that would do the job. All the deer did was get curious.. came up and sniffed them.. :lol: :lol:
I dont know about dogs ---I was putting a pole shed up in this guys yard -all his winter feed was there ---the dog would chase them ---they would go down the road 1/4 mile --turn around and come back again --there was enough of them-nearly wore the dog out ---around here we have deer more quiet than our cows

Latest posts