Deer Behavior

Help Support CattleToday:

fitz

Reaction score
I used to hunt every chance I had. Not much anymore. Saw a first yesterday morning.
I have cows on both sides of a state road here. I walk/ride approx. 1/4 mile from the house, cross the state road, the creek and then travel along the creek parallel with the state road to what I refer to as the lower end several times a day. Have a lot of my junk down there.
Yesterday there was a small 6 point buck in the creek. He saw me and jumped towards the road but didn't cross. I thought that strange. During the time of about 6 hours I make that trip twice walking, once with a tractor and once in the truck. Each time the deer was still there. This little fellow is within 15 yards of me. One trip I notice he was pawing like crazy. He saw me coming and again jumped up the bank but didn't leave. I stopped the tractor, got off and looked over the creek bank. There laid a dead doe. I figured with him pushing her she was hit during the morning rush hour and made it that far to die.
She must have been putting off a strong sent as he worked (pawing) to get her up for most of the day. On my last trip he crossed the road and went about his business elsewhere. Had never seen that before. My learning experience for the day.

fitz

Latest posts