Dear Mr. and Mrs. Coyote.........

Help Support CattleToday:

Medic24":8wnwmccv said:
Well folks......... I do have a game cam......many of you will remember the pics that Cattle Annie was kind enuff to post for me. they showed three yotes working over what was left of the last calf they killed.

Yes, it was in fact a confirmed coyote that ate the bottom out of the calf..... tracks, and scene of the crime confirms it.

As far as coming back to the scene of the crime, we moved the dead calf almost a quarter mile from the original attack, ( for better trapping and shooting access)which I might remind some folks, did NOT kill it, but simply ate the guts out from the back rear...when I found her she was happily sucking away at mom, as though nothing had happened, with a big hole in her about the size of a softball!

The 'Doc' I am referring to is actually a Doctor that likes to trap (and more)yotes and is very good at it. Actually, for him, he keeps it all very simple. and it works. But we have spent the last two evenings making kind of making a kill zone around most of the pasture perimiters.......I feel confident that it will take some of the pressure off of my cattle in short order.
If one method doesn't work on them, two others are also in place to take out some of the wary or wise ones. I suspect we will be getting a number of pups at first. but a yote is a yote. I have learned much just in the past few days. Kinda like a jetti knight learning from the master Yoda. Only hope I can make him proud in time.

Yes, we have 9 Llamas in the pasture right now, our fault , we did know better, and we are taking steps to rectify that right now. Any one want any bred females cheap?

I am rather excited, as the next few weeks, the first thing I will do each and every morning it to 'tour' the edges of the pasture to see what we have caught.

As for the Peta folks, let them cry, complain, and protest. When they either remove my problem, or decide to help pay for the losses, I will begin to give them some attention.......otherwise don't become part of the problem.....eh?

In discussing this with several neighbors, I now realize that many of us have silently faced the same problem, and most have been taking some measures to reduce it, I simply had no idea we were being overwhelmed by them at this time. No wonder there is little or no small game left around here. As for those that wish to compare the western vs. eastern yotes....... keep in mind that the easterns or much bigger, and science has proven that they in fact have Wolf DNA in them......don't know how or why, but thats the facts. This also changes the method of hunting as well....mainly lone and shy yotes of the west vs. pack hunters, that are not intimidated by size of the prey in the east. ( Remember the wolf DNA)

Last but not least, something I should have done some time ago, but would never had thought to do it....I went out and bought some livestock insurance...with a specific rider for losses through predation.... sure will take some of the pain away even if the claim would be small.

As always ya'll, thanks for the ideas, and support. It is always appreciated! :cboy:
=============
medic,

Sounds like you have put a good plan in place...update us on how effective it is.

I don't know if you saw the post...don't remember which thread right now...but, one poster is /aware of putting a fenced in area (a few acres) with a configuration ....with bait...when the yotes get in..apparently a trap type door arrangement keep them there until.... check-out time. :mad: Sounds like a workable approach to me. 8) I have been thinking of those details...I don't know why a small concept of 400'...600' ...800' square area...about...wouldn't work. After all it is just a big trap. As long as it get's the buggers. Anyone with thoughts why a few acres are needed?

Are you planning to reduce the Llamas numbers and keep them?

Good hunting!!!

Medic24":2kqwh51b said:
Well folks......... I do have a game cam......many of you will remember the pics that Cattle Annie was kind enuff to post for me. they showed three yotes working over what was left of the last calf they killed.

Yes, it was in fact a confirmed coyote that ate the bottom out of the calf..... tracks, and scene of the crime confirms it.

As far as coming back to the scene of the crime, we moved the dead calf almost a quarter mile from the original attack, ( for better trapping and shooting access)which I might remind some folks, did NOT kill it, but simply ate the guts out from the back rear...when I found her she was happily sucking away at mom, as though nothing had happened, with a big hole in her about the size of a softball!

The 'Doc' I am referring to is actually a Doctor that likes to trap (and more)yotes and is very good at it. Actually, for him, he keeps it all very simple. and it works. But we have spent the last two evenings making kind of making a kill zone around most of the pasture perimiters.......I feel confident that it will take some of the pressure off of my cattle in short order.
If one method doesn't work on them, two others are also in place to take out some of the wary or wise ones. I suspect we will be getting a number of pups at first. but a yote is a yote. I have learned much just in the past few days. Kinda like a jetti knight learning from the master Yoda. Only hope I can make him proud in time.

Yes, we have 9 Llamas in the pasture right now, our fault , we did know better, and we are taking steps to rectify that right now. Any one want any bred females cheap?

I am rather excited, as the next few weeks, the first thing I will do each and every morning it to 'tour' the edges of the pasture to see what we have caught.

As for the Peta folks, let them cry, complain, and protest. When they either remove my problem, or decide to help pay for the losses, I will begin to give them some attention.......otherwise don't become part of the problem.....eh?

In discussing this with several neighbors, I now realize that many of us have silently faced the same problem, and most have been taking some measures to reduce it, I simply had no idea we were being overwhelmed by them at this time. No wonder there is little or no small game left around here. As for those that wish to compare the western vs. eastern yotes....... keep in mind that the easterns or much bigger, and science has proven that they in fact have Wolf DNA in them......don't know how or why, but thats the facts. This also changes the method of hunting as well....mainly lone and shy yotes of the west vs. pack hunters, that are not intimidated by size of the prey in the east. ( Remember the wolf DNA)

Last but not least, something I should have done some time ago, but would never had thought to do it....I went out and bought some livestock insurance...with a specific rider for losses through predation.... sure will take some of the pain away even if the claim would be small.

As always ya'll, thanks for the ideas, and support. It is always appreciated! :cboy:

I am terribly sorry for your loss, Medic. Happy hunting!!! Please keep us posted on your results. The only good coyote is a dead coyote!

Well, Burno... you are so right..... they are smart critters.

We will keep just a few llamas, and now consider them as pets, not guardian animals, and thanks for those that shared the links ot the donkey sites...... I truly think this may be the next thing to try........
as of this date , withing the past two years, we have gone through Llamas, great Pyrenese dogs, (both killed, they even dug them back up to eat them after we buried them just behind the house!) traps, poison, a bad a$$ bull, better fencing, etc......

it seems as though the more we kill the more they make to take the place of those that have gone before them.

I do have a friend of mine who is agonizing my plight with me and has offered to take my very preg. cattle and young calves to his place for safer keeping. May have to take him up on that offer if it doesn't let up soon. :cboy:

Medic24":3tebyk65 said:
it seems as though the more we kill the more they make to take the place of those that have gone before them.

might seem like it sometimes but dont believe it for one second

Hey, medic....when you are done with your work down in your neck of the woods, come on up here and we will keep you busy cleaning up this mess, too!! if i were a better shot, i would have had me 3 of them this morning....one of them lying in the field, looking at the cows and calves and then looking at me as if to say "what? i know you can't hit the broad side of a barn with your gun, so i am not worried"....finally wised up and got the 2 cow-dogs after him! :roll:

Medic24":1nk18e72 said:
By the way... was told today... and maybe the folks that live there can confirm or disprove it...........Virginia, or at least several counties in Virginia is paying a hefty bounty of yotes???
It is only about a 45 minute drive to SW Va...... could be a good trade off. :cboy:

I only know this second hand. Some of the counties in VA pay a bounty. It is not a state program, just a local thing. Our county does not. I have heard that a neighboring county did, but the money allocated for the program ran out in fairly early in the year, so no more pay-outs until next year.

Good luck in your battle, hope that our current level of yotes doesn't increase, but I know it will. Someone killed one within 3 miles of my farm last fall & another guy killed 2 about 5-7 miles away.

Latest posts