Dealing with Change

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
I've been having some thoughts today. Or I should say, I need to get some things off my chest. Maybe its from the stress of exams or the fact that I realize that I won't be dealing with livestock of my own (my own being from the home-farm my-own). I say this because we finally got a renter for our place, and he'll be looking after and working the land. And he'll be putting out a few heifers in the corrals up front and out in the pastures.

It's that that I just said that kind of depresses me. I've been so used to coming home from school and being able to check on the cattle that are OURS in the corrals and not be afraid to work with them a bit when its needed or just go out to check them just for the heck of it. Now, now the only thing that I can do, when those heifers arrive come spring is just sit on the back porch and look at them, because they're not ours. And that really stinks. I just can't bear the thought of that, I hate thinking about it. Not that I'm complaining of course, its always good to see cattle out keeping the grass down, but it's even better if they're yours that your seeing keeping the grass down in YOUR corrals, if you know what I mean.

Now, once I satrt thinking this, then I start thinking about the future. Mom and I need to find something else to keep us busy year-round besides being busy in the spring, summer and fall working in the garden. We don't know what, it's only been a few months since the accident, but I would like to know what or start brain-storming some ideas. And of course its still early yet to really decide what to do, "take one day at a time" they say. <<sigh>> I hate it when they say that because you can't help but think ahead to the future, having all these "what if's" in your head, all these "what's gonna happen when/if _________", you know. That's what I've been getting today, and since I heard about the rent agreement.

It's so strange to not have Dad around, because, you know, at this time of year we're scrambling to get things done, to get the seeder ready, purchase seed and fertilizer, get anhydrous for the feilds that are going to be planted into canola, etc. And Mom told me over the phone that each time she finds herself having to rush around to get laundry done, this and that, and she has to constantly remind herself that there's no need to hurry around. And me, I sometimes find myself forgetting that he's gone and wondering how he's doing getting the feilds ready and stuff, suddenly realizing and wondering why am I thinking these things. It's all a part of dealing with change, I guess.

And then I start looking at myself. I start wondering how am I gonna live without such a good resource as Dad was. At least, I was thinking that a while ago. But, with the farm and all, I just start wondering am I ever going to meet the goals and dreams that I have set myself? Am I gonna end up as some other people that have had all these dreams and ambitions like me abolished by something like this, by the big C word, by a huge and significant death in the family, and not be able to do anything about it? ?? I absolutely loathe the word "change" because, those are the things that "change" means to me. I know there's a lot more to the word "change" than what I have been raving about on this thread, but that's what it means to me. I keep telling myself that I just can't let the work I've put into getting my degree, the books I've been reading, the stuff I've been reading on these boards, all go to waste because of something like the word "change". I just can't. I dunno where to start if I don't want all I've learned and all my interests to go to waste, but I've been told by my folks that I can do something about it by asking around if I can do volunteer work at a local veterinary clinic, get a job at one of the barns at the university farm, things like that. It is something to think about, I guess it is a step forward, right? I have a bad tendancy to second-guess myself some times, hesitate to go and ask or do things because I have second thoughts that it don't feel right. (here I'm complaining again, sorry).

Anyway, I realize that I have changed a lot too since I first got on here. I've sometimes looked at my old posts from a year or so back and get a little embarrassed with myself when I do read them. It seemed like I had a bit of a thinner-skin then than I do now, and (I have to admit) was a bit more childish. :oops: (Well, maybe childish ain't quite the right word, but that was the only word I could think up of) Now, I realize (not NOW now, but from reading on here and letting it sink in now....never mind) I don't need to post as much as I used to. Post # doesnt count, actual real-life experience does, as I've heard it been said many times on here. And thanks to all of you, I've learned tonnes, much more than I would've learned from just dealing with feeder steers. (So maybe change is good, after all.)

Well, I better get off my soapbox and get back to my studies. One thing that makes me happy is that I'll be going back home to the farm in less than a week. Oh and Myra finally came home. :banana:

But it's @#$%&^* snowing outside!! :( :cry: :x

P.S.: I just have to say thanks for putting up with me for as long as I've been on here y'all. :cboy: ;-)

Karin I have nothing to say to make you feel better, but if I were there with you I would give you a big hug :heart: .

Good luck on your exams, I know you willl do great and your dad would be so proud of you .

Great news that your neice is finally home.

:hugs: Wanda

words cant an wont make you feel better.because of the lose hurt anger an depression that your feeling.but im going to tell you something an i want you to take it to heart.dont you dare give up on your dreams.you fight for an keep working toward them.i know losing your dad crushed or put alot of your dreams on hold.been there done that years ago.but your dad wouldnt want you to give up your dreams because of what happened.you can still own cattle an run the farm.an dont you dare say that you cant.

On the bright side, although things might have 'C'd, you still own the farm and are just renting it out. When your ready to farm, at least you will have that option without a significant outlay of cash for land. I don't know if you are planning to keep the machinery or not, but if so, that is a plus also. Cows come and go, but the land is forever. Good luck on your exams. I've got one left on Monday and then I am home on Wednesday. :cboy:

I beg to differ about the thing "words cant and wont make you feel better." The words that you folks are able to say DO make me feel better, and provide the kind of words of encouragement that anybody like me needs. That's what friends are for.

I understand that I still own the farm, but something like that coming up so quickly, even though I knew we had to do it, came as a bit of a shock. It's a change I have to get used to, though a part of me refuses to want to accept it, the other part says I have no choice. Heck, Mom, Grandpa and my uncle Daryl had no choice but to rent out the land that Dad had worked before it happened. What else were they going to do, eh? I just have to keep talking to myself to not give up and like you said bigbull, NEVER say can't, and stick to my guns. Yes I am hurt, a little angry and frustrated with this change thing, but I guess its something I have to face and plow through.

Thanks for the kind words, btw. :nod:

Jeez, hon, I wish I could offer something that would make you feel better, but it's not likely. Life is full of changes, some bad, some good, but the one thing you can count on is that there will be change. How you handle that change is the key. Stay strong, stay true to yourself and those that love you and everything will work out. It's Ok to feel angry and resentful once in awhile, but a positive outlook will take you much further. Count your blessings.

Karin, your post was well thought out and from the heart. I can tell from your words you have changed. You are growing up. Your thoughts and questions about the "what if's" in life are a sign of maturity and are a sign of growing wisdom. The recent events in your life were tragic but they are shared by many on this board. Your thicker skin is also a sign of maturity as you have realized that some things are unimportant and you will not let them get under your skin. The number of posts, number of bales/acre or the size of your tractor doesn't mean a hill of beans. What is important and the only one you need to compete with is yourself and your goals. Keep your goals in mind and your dreams alive. I'm sure if you really set your mind to it there could be a few head of "your" cattle waiting in the field when you come home. Your dad will be missed by you as mine is by me. I wish only that I had a few more days with him as I'm sure you do too. But don't dwell on the dead for they would not want you to. Spend your time with the living and get to know them as you would your best friend. You might find you already have a best friend that you never really knew. Pursue your dreams. Embrace life. Live your life like there will not be a tomorrow. Keep your goals. I'm sure your dad would tell you the same closing remarks. God Bless You and Yours.

It takes time to move on after the loss of a parent. Time to accept it, and all the changes it has brought to your life, your Moms and other family members. There isn't any set time when your grief will end, but I can say this it will get better with time. Your dad would want you all to keep the farm anyway you could, and continue on with all of your plans and dreams.

GMN

Karin, I'm so sorry about your father. As to the changes you are facing, remember this - when God closes a door, somewhere He opens a window. Don't allow your grief and the challenges you are facing to limit your 'sight' to the point that you miss it. Keep your chin up, your faith strong, and always trust in God - you will be fine. :)

Again thanks for the kind words.

There are times when I just have to let stuff like this out like I did, it's pretty hard to deal with it when it's all pent up inside. I dunno about other people, but that's what I believe. Not to get sympathy or anything, but just to let it out, get it out, stuff like that.

Jogee, you put it perfectly, I was trying to say something like that but of course it never ends up coming out right, lol.

Anyway, it's a snowy, blasted cold day out, a good day to stay in and get some work done.

Thanks again everyone. :)

Latest posts