dealing with an agressive bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

raykour":244lzbta said:
I am confused as to how the "sale barn" would be docking prices on bull calves. It is buyers that decide what they want to pay.

Same here. The ring man may start the bidding lower. It happens if he spots anything he doesn't like.

He was starting at 90 cents once and dropped to 80 when one of mine went through. It slowed the bidding considerably but then it took off and that steer brought more than what others had been bringing. Never went back to that sale barn.

My 3yo bull is well mannered. When I 1st got him, he did shake his head and stepped toward me, but I was watching for that and had a club in my hand. I thought if it( him going to "try" me) was going to happen it would happen in the 1st few days of him being here. I cracked him as hard as I could across the nose and went after him. He has been nice as can be since. I can move him anywhere, drive him away from the girls. When I went to see him he was in a pasture that was across the road where the neighbor had just put in a new bull and some cows. Figured he wouldn't want to come away from the fence as both bulls were putting on a pretty good show, (bawling, pawing, rubbing the fence...). The guy that had him just went around the other side of him and started talking to him and moved him back up the hill so we could get a better look. That scored brownie points with me. I vote sell yours. We have sold bull calves that have brought as much as the steers.

if you ever whipp a bull with a club you better carry from then on.i heard of a dairymen that had a mean bull that wouldnt let him open an shut gates.so the dairy carried a pitch fork with him an worked the bull over pretty good.well that bull wouldnt try him as long as he took the pitch fork with him.well he was in a hurry 1 morning an left the pitchfork by the barn door.well that old bull caught him that morning an worked him over.i cant remember if he killed the man or not.

OK guys, really...? It was a big stick, not a 2x4, and it was across the end of his nose. I don't have the strength to crush a bulls snout. Lets see..... broken nose....or him think it was OK to come after me? I stand behind my choice. The bull hadn't had any issues before this. I would not have bought him if I had seen any aggresive behavior when I went to see him the 1st time. I also know someone that had leased him and had talked to them. I didn't see this as anymore than him seeing what he could get away with. But I also have horses and have been around stallions. As the "new" factor in their lives they will try you to see how far they can push you. You punish them once right when it happens and let them be. You don't whip and beat on them after the fact. A dairy bull is a little different in my opinion. The man you spoke of that "worked the bull over pretty good" with a pitchfork sounds like he did a little more than what I did. I carry a little stock whip with me when I'm around him or the cows......not to WHIP or BEAT them, but to scratch them. See, he stops when you get near because he wants his back scratched. Same with some of the cows. I would either have to use my hand to smack him to get him moving or tap him with the whip. This is a very small herd that is in close contact everyday to people. They are not out on pasture for days without seeing someone.

BCShorthorn":kd2sp3zx said:
OK guys, really...? It was a big stick, not a 2x4, and it was across the end of his nose. I don't have the strength to crush a bulls snout. Lets see..... broken nose....or him think it was OK to come after me? I stand behind my choice. The bull hadn't had any issues before this. I would not have bought him if I had seen any aggresive behavior when I went to see him the 1st time. I also know someone that had leased him and had talked to them. I didn't see this as anymore than him seeing what he could get away with. But I also have horses and have been around stallions. As the "new" factor in their lives they will try you to see how far they can push you. You punish them once right when it happens and let them be. You don't whip and beat on them after the fact. A dairy bull is a little different in my opinion. The man you spoke of that "worked the bull over pretty good" with a pitchfork sounds like he did a little more than what I did. I carry a little stock whip with me when I'm around him or the cows......not to WHIP or BEAT them, but to scratch them. See, he stops when you get near because he wants his back scratched. Same with some of the cows. I would either have to use my hand to smack him to get him moving or tap him with the whip. This is a very small herd that is in close contact everyday to people. They are not out on pasture for days without seeing someone.
the bull that he worked over had already for months been trying to get him as he went behind the milk barn to shut the gates.the bull in question was a holstein bull,well known for their killer instincts.

IMO-when dealing with bulls..or stallions..or men..one must not "nag"..but make the point swift and known..

nagging only pisses them off.

if he's still on the cow get him cut or banded asap, he is being driven by his hormones, cut 'em off and he'll quiet down. The main reason bulls get docked up here is that the buyer know they'll have to do it themselves, they will lose performance in the calves and late banding/castration will hurt their final meat quality grade. Give him a shot of tetanus when you castrate him, good insurance. If an animal is not fitting in to your management or ideals then sell them, I don't see where beating on an animal is either productive or useful, let alone ethical....

cutting that calf will not cool his temper.even as a steer he will be mean till delt with.

I agree with the others, don't keep him for breeding and never keep females from an agressive animal.. it is hereditary. Angus has EPD's for temperament , some of the other breeds may too.
Valerie
PS. They find every excuse they can to dock you here. Less than trailer load, female, bull, color, that's why we went to registered animals and selling butcher beef.

Latest posts