dealing with an agressive bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Greg n TN

Reaction score
I am new to cows, and have an 8-month old bull calf. He has approached me in the past and closed within in a couple feet and then dropped his head and made a butting motion toward me – but he was still a few feet away.

2nd to last time he actually got so close that his head hit my extended hands. I jumped in his face and yelled as loud as I could and waived my arms. He stood there looking at me for a moment, then slowly turned and walked away .

Last time: As soon as I got off the tractor in the pasture, he came from 50 yards away directly to me. Without hesitation, the walked up and head butted me on the arm. I yelled again and hit him across the shoulder with a stick I picked up from the ground. He jumped back and walked away.

Is he a lost cause and need to be sold? At his age (8 months) and size (appx 600lbs), can I work with him?

I guess the question is, What are you wanting to do with him? If he were mine, he would be on his way to the sale barn. I don't put up with aggressive calves or cows.

Thanks Limomike, I wanted to keep him as my herd bull, but his conduct has me concerned. If I knew this was uncharacteristic behaivor, he'd be sold asap. I just didn't know it this was considered agressive or not. Didn't know if all bulls acted that way. I know he makes me feel uneasy. Like someone else said, "I'm not affraid of animals, but I do have a great deal of respect for them - especially the bulls".

Thanks and I guess I'll have to sell him and move on.

Yes, always gotta have respect for those animals. I have two limousin bulls, that are very mild mannered when in the pasture (of course they are with the girls so that helps) but when I pen them up, the tend to get a little bit fiesty, like pawing the ground or shaking their head at me. But that is only when they are confined for a time.

you do not want to keep him for a bull,he is mean plain an simple.put him on the trailer asap.an until you do take a club with you an bust him a good 1 when he gets to close.my brother has had bull calves do him the same way,an he would bust them with a club.that calf isnt safe tobe around never go out alone arond him.

Thanks bigbull,

I guess it is just in their blood? He was born on my farm in January and I've been close to him and his mother his whole life. Never mistreated or abused. He is with his mother and another cow and her 1 month old hefer. I did noticed him one day trying to lay down on the (then) two week old hefer. Is that common? Or just another indicator that he has to go. Thanks for all the inputs.

He is marked for the kill sale! So from your comments, I'm guessing you can get bulls that do not challange humans; or are at least less threating.

Thanks again. He is my first bull and really didn't know what was normal or acceptable.

that behaviour is definately not normal.sell him and buy yourself a bull that is of breeding age and not from stock u already got.

when a bull turns mean he is tobe sold.also a bull can get mean no matter his age.yes you can find good tempered bulls to buy.

we dont mess with cutting the bull calves.an i feel we do as good as the steers.but then again i dont have black hided cattle either.

TennesseeTuxedo":2eld7wjs said:
I have heard that bull calves get docked and I've heard that it makes no difference. I guess it just depends on where you're selling huh?
That pretty well sums it up. Around here a bull will get docked 5-6 cents a pound, horns abour 9-14 cents.

I agree with all, at this point you have few options.
But next year, if your cows are pretty tame, you can likely keep this scenario from occuring by teaching your baby bulls that they need to turn sideways to you always, and never "face up". We raise
bull calves for breeding, and actually we like working with them more than the heifers, in general they have less fear, are less "bitchy", and seem to kind of enjoy being halter broke and fooled with.
Turning sideways, head down, is the "uncle, I give up, I yield to you" position -- reward that by backing off, and if your cows have genetics for decent temperament, you'll be surprised how much you can teach by simple body movement.

I am confused as to how the "sale barn" would be docking prices on bull calves. It is buyers that decide what they want to pay. In my area (Colorado) neither horns nor testicles make much of a difference on a nice black calf. If it is anything besides black, it is just an excuse to pay less for it no matter what jewelry it is wearing. What brings a big dock around here is ear, even just a little. No one wants anything brahma influenced in this area.

Of course black isn't everything, if it is black and a piece of crap, it isn't going to bring much. But if it is any other color and of the sadder sort lord help you because the auctioneer is going to beg someone to buy it.

Just look at the results from your local auction.

If he were mine and load him up and take him just like he is, at this point and this time of year (bad flies) and if you are feeding him hay (and have to hold onto him for 2 or 3 more weeks), it isn't worth the potential $40-$50 extra you might make to cut him.

Betty":3ga4sr5w said:
I agree with all, at this point you have few options.
But next year, if your cows are pretty tame, you can likely keep this scenario from occuring by teaching your baby bulls that they need to turn sideways to you always, and never "face up". We raise
bull calves for breeding, and actually we like working with them more than the heifers, in general they have less fear, are less "bitchy", and seem to kind of enjoy being halter broke and fooled with.
Turning sideways, head down, is the "uncle, I give up, I yield to you" position -- reward that by backing off, and if your cows have genetics for decent temperament, you'll be surprised how much you can teach by simple body movement.

Sounds like you're applying some horse handling skills right there Betty. I like it.

raykour":6gr3agm7 said:
I am confused as to how the "sale barn" would be docking prices on bull calves.
Just an easy way of referring to/expressing animals being sold through the sale barn as aopposed to private treaty

Latest posts