Dead Twins

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
That was disappointing.
A 2001 cow had one heifer calf already dead and hubby went up to put some staples in the fence and she had just the head out. ran her in and got the feet out and the calf already dead too. :frowns:
No idea what happened. The lower teeth on the first one were not fully in and seemed a bit loose. rear end was bulged out and had blood coming from it. Had bright red blood coming from the cord.
Second calf's cord was pale.

Just a crappy situation. Cow had twins back in '08. We have one of them down at the barn going to have her second calf.
Cow never missed a year. Now to decide if we keep her or ship her.
Steer calf she raised last year was BW 85# and WW 565#.

*sigh*

I luv herfrds":3ufho32f said:
That was disappointing.
A 2001 cow had one heifer calf already dead and hubby went up to put some staples in the fence and she had just the head out. ran her in and got the feet out and the calf already dead too. :frowns:
No idea what happened. The lower teeth on the first one were not fully in and seemed a bit loose. rear end was bulged out and had blood coming from it. Had bright red blood coming from the cord.

Just a crappy situation. Cow had twins back in '08. We have one of them down at the barn going to have her second calf.

*sigh*

10 year old cow-- with the price of cull cows at what they are... There would be no having to decide- she would be gone...

It is never good losing calves. I pulled one out of the pond last week, and found a 3 month old steer that was perfectly healthy yesterday laying in the woods today. If your cow is healthy I would give her another shot if she were here.

Oldtimer":2mvdj8nw said:
I luv herfrds":2mvdj8nw said:
That was disappointing.

*sigh*

10 year old cow-- with the price of cull cows at what they are... There would be no having to decide- she would be gone...
Oops, misread the post, didn't see she was a 10 YO. I'd ship her.

KNERSIE":1sok87q1 said:
Have I ever mentioned how much I hate twins?
I was going to post the same thing. My best dairy cow had twin heifers and both were dead. It is frustrating. However, at 10 years old it should be no question what should be done with the cow unless you have an extra calf to spike onto her. I've been culling the dairy herd quite hard this spring because I'm getting $1000 a head for Holsteins. I know it is hard to move some of those good ole girls but this is a business and there is no way you can come out money ahead keeping her. Heck even a 5 year old should probably hit the road. No sense is running something for a full year with no return and there is always the possibility of death.

Ifeel darn lucky,Had a cow give me twins two days ago. So far both are sucking and are 50lbs.
Last year she had twins and we had to bottle feed one. I really don't care for twins ether.

I was thinking with the 2 gallons a day I'm getting from my Jersey we could raise the extra calf on her or if another cow lost a calf we could graft that one on her.

Cow didn't clean yet. So going to hit her with some LA200 and oxytosin tomorrow morning.

I luv herfrds":2ovq1jfg said:
I was thinking with the 2 gallons a day I'm getting from my Jersey we could raise the extra calf on her or if another cow lost a calf we could graft that one on her.

Cow didn't clean yet. So going to hit her with some LA200 and oxytosin tomorrow morning.

Too late for oxytycin to have any effect, rather use estrumate if it isn't out after a few more days, the LA200 is always a good idea.

We have always had trouble with cows having twins not cleaning.
Used to have lute on hand, but now you can only get it through your vet.

Hate shipping her, but she is 10 and the price for cull cows are good.

Went out for the dawn calf check this morning. Crappy a$$ed weather, cloudy, damp, wind howling, temp 36F. Found two of my best cows produced overnight. Was happy with the live heifer calf. Went over the hill and saw the other cow pitching a fit. Two dead heifer calf twins. Wasn't due for 2 weeks and wasn't showing signs of anything at nighttime check. They appear they were born dead. Most likely nothing would have changed if I was right there. Cow's okay, it could be worse, but somehow I don't feel better about it. Just affirms my severe hatred of twins. Now I have to get the barn ready for the other pair, it's too nasty out there even though it's May.

Happy May Day! The wind chill is 25F! Whatever.

Hubby wants to keep her one more year.
We have GI Jane we have to ship, she's a '98 cow and hasn't missed a year but her calves are getting lighter though.
Got the 2 that didn't calve that are leaving tomorrow with the calf killing sob and 1 snotty steer.
So we have a total of 9 cows going and only 8 heifers coming into production next year.
Hope to keep back at least 12 heifer calves this fall.

Sorry to hear that. I had one that had dead twins last spring. We kept her & she had a nice heifer calf 3 weeks ago. My cow was only 5 so we kept her ,if she was 10 & with the prices cows are now, I probably would have shipped her. Just my opinion, good luck.

She was already given her shots, poured and is out in the pasture.
Gotta ship a total of 9 head this year. So we are going to keep her.
I'll use the tag numbers just easier to keep track.
441- sold late calver
315- sold open
723-sold killed calf
830-c section dried up shipping this month
909-c section pelvis too small
420- spot on eye
427- bad attitude
801- prolapse
808- old age 13 years

redcowsrule33":36ji4vrb said:
Went out for the dawn calf check this morning. Crappy a$$ed weather, cloudy, damp, wind howling, temp 36F. Found two of my best cows produced overnight. Was happy with the live heifer calf. Went over the hill and saw the other cow pitching a fit. Two dead heifer calf twins. Wasn't due for 2 weeks and wasn't showing signs of anything at nighttime check. They appear they were born dead. Most likely nothing would have changed if I was right there. Cow's okay, it could be worse, but somehow I don't feel better about it.

Went for a check yesterday morning, it was about 30 degrees and damp, and found dead twins with their feet touching. They were clean on both sides so I assume they were born alive but never got up. No calving barn here because we usually expect OK weather in May...

What is the typical survival rate on twins?

Studies in dairy cattle for perinatal mortality average 5% for single births and 15-22% for twins. Our average with 5 cows (not a very large cohort but it's what I've got) is 40% mortality for twins. I would think that in beef cattle the mortality rate may be higher than dairy since in dairy cattle more of the births are observed and intervention can come quicker.

redcowsrule33":2e8qrqro said:
Studies in dairy cattle for perinatal mortality average 5% for single births and 15-22% for twins. Our average with 5 cows (not a very large cohort but it's what I've got) is 40% mortality for twins. I would think that in beef cattle the mortality rate may be higher than dairy since in dairy cattle more of the births are observed and intervention can come quicker.

When we fall calved (August here) we did not have an issue with small dead (twin) calves. I think they need a heat lamp or a calf box right away in this weather.

Maybe, but I have pulled enough dead twins to believe that they are often delivered dead by the cow too. Mine this year were normal sized calves. These calves did not die of hypothermia.

redcowsrule33":26nki2lz said:
Maybe, but I have pulled enough dead twins to believe that they are often delivered dead by the cow too. Mine this year were normal sized calves. These calves did not die of hypothermia.

Too long in delivery?

Latest posts