Dead heifer after uterine infection

Help Support CattleToday:

damengineer

Reaction score
7 month old 500 lb black angus heifer was terated for urinary infection and trauma to back or hind legs. Treated with Draxxin and Pennicillin for 2 weeks and kept in pen with mother for 6 weeks. Had another full size cow came up lame in left hind leg possibly back injury. So left the 3 together in pen for observation and treatment. Heifer appeared normal and was turned out with other 2 cows and back to herd about 2 weeks ago. Found heifer dead this morning laying on left side, partially bloated. Had checked on herd 24 hours prior, and all were well.

Performed post mortem and found infected uterus and several lymph nodes swollen both under skin and deep. Lymph nodes colser to Uterus were larger and all contained a white-yellow cottage cheese consistency pus. Found no problems in Kidneys, a lesion was noted on intestines near a lymph node under skin approx 4 inches to rear of navel. Heart lungs and liver appeared normal. Post was performed by veterinarian. He has not seen this before. Herd is 29 hd black angus and 2 longhorn w/ longhorn-angus calves at side. Herd has been closed since purchase of angus bred cows from single owner in Feb 2013. Introduced new yearling black angus bull in March 2016.

I think the term for the pus in the lymph nodes is "caseous abscessation". If uterine infection was original problem instead of urinary tract infection, then it appears that source of problem is new bull.

I would appreciate any help with this. It appears that I may have introduced aomething into the herd through the new bull. Thanks in advance for your help.

I would sure get it done if for no other reason than to eliminate the possibility

5S Cattle":ouum4r3k said:
I didn't think tric was harmful? Thought it just delayed pregnancy until they kicked it.
It causes abortions

The bull was young enough when I got him he should have been a virgin. Last year I had one cow that aborted, but had a normal delivery about 11 months later. Researching the lymph node infections I find the diagnosis of Mesenteric lymphadenitis.

Latest posts