Daughters first show heifer any good or bad opinions

Help Support CattleToday:

Seems to be suffering from a fairly serious case of noassatal(very short hipped and very little muscle) disease, other than that not terrible, could use a better topline also!
image30.jpg

Thanks 3 way we just weaned her a week ago will feed help or is it in the genes

Beauford":33sv6o1f said:
Thanks 3 way we just weaned her a week ago will feed help or is it in the genes

Feed won't change her basic structure but if she is a project she doesn't have to be perfect, just well taken care of! Best wishes for a successful year with her.

Good disposition? BTW i love her front end. She is very femine, and her topline may not be as weak as i first thought. She just has some growin to do.

What's the story on her sire and dam?

Her sire is a Mytty in focus son and her dam is a commercial baldy.This calf was the calmest one out of our small herd but not the best looking but safety is a big concern for my daughters first year. Thanks for your input! The whole family is learning as we go, it should be a great project with a home grown heifer.

Structurally she could be a little more correct but she is very feminine and has some length to her. Looks like she has been well taken care of. For a first show project it's not always about looks and more about disposition. You want a heifer that is easy to handle and allows your junior to be able to get comfortable with them in the ring and be able to learn something and not become afraid of the animal and want to quit. I've seen too many parents try to pair up a high powered 1200 pound steer with a first time junior and watch that kid be scared to death of the animal because of it's poor disposition. At that age it's not about winning, it's a learning experience and those kids will appreciate the higher quality animals they get to show later one once they mature and have learned what it takes to take care of a show animal.

I remember my first show heifer, she was nothing special, pretty much last in her class most of the time but such a great disposition I just loved showing and I think I probably appreciated it more later on when I started to show some heifers that would win shows. I'm not sure you do a kid much good by putting them out there with a top notch animal their first year. Yeah they are happy when they win but once they get a taste of losing some of them don't handle it well and I think we need to keep things in perspective that there is more to showing cattle than just winning. You create some great relationships and learn some valuable things over the years. Yeah it's great feeling when that judge slaps your animal as the grand champion but it's also a great feeling to watch the same thing happen to someone you've become friends with over the years too.

Latest posts