Dang it, of all the luck

Help Support CattleToday:

Not sure I remember the particulars. Weren't they two bulls from the same place, and you chose one and your son (?) chose the other?
Yes they both came for the same place. I picked both of them, they were both fine when I first got them home.

The one with the blinders is the one who died. No I don't think he bloated, nothing for him to bloat on, he is on all the same feed. I don't think it is anything I did. No matter what I hate for this to happen.

Is it the breeders fault that it died?
Probably not but most reputable breeders will try and work with you especially being just a short time since delivery. They know that if they help you out they will be your first port of call the next time you need a bull plus people talk so a good experience will attract a lot of future bull buyers as opposed to driving many away from you relating a bad experience.

Ken

Dang it, I feel your pain! I had a new heifer bull all of 3 weeks and he was struck by lightning (had the vet post him - in through the shoulder, out the foot). He was my fave of the 2 I bought and it felt like a gut punch. I called the breeder to see if he had another bull and he did, but not suitable for heifers. Whatever, I'd make it work. He delivered the bull a few days later and refused my check, saying he guarantees his bulls for a year. Clearly an act of nature had nothing to do with breeding but, as Ken stated, that's what reputable breeders do.

Picked up my replacement bull today. Between going to the ranch and driving all the way to Castle Dale Utah I made a round trip of 975 miles.

20240608_201617.jpg

While there he showed my his winter pasture. I thought where I summer my cows is harsh country, that country around Castle Dale is dryer.

If anyone wants a good Black Hereford bull I would very much recommend Johansen Bulls. He never even questioned the bull that died on me, just gave me a replacement.

Picked up my replacement bull today. Between going to the ranch and driving all the way to Castle Dale Utah I made a round trip of 975 miles.

View attachment 45610

While there he showed my his winter pasture. I thought where I summer my cows is harsh country, that country around Castle Dale is dryer.

If anyone wants a good Black Hereford bull I would very much recommend Johansen Bulls. He never even questioned the bull that died on me, just gave me a replacement.

No comment...

Latest posts