dairy steers

Help Support CattleToday:

medic_941

Reaction score
what is the best way to weight on dairy steers that are about 200-250 pounds now? i know they dont put on wieght like beef calves do but i have some dairy steers that im trying to get up to weight as fast as possable..what do you guys advice on feeding them? grain? corn? any and all help would be great

Best luck we have had for feeding holstiens has been as much corn as they can eat per day along with 1.5 pounds per day of 40% protien containing 500 grams monensin and 250 grams tylan per ton. But the trouble is with the price of corn you will still owe money on the feed bill after you sell the cattle.

i have been feeding them a calf treet grain which is 15.00 a hundred..corn here is about 11 a hundred...would they gain better on the corn? i have been feeding the other cause someone told me its better..

medic_941":28r8wdhn said:
i have been feeding them a calf treet grain which is 15.00 a hundred..corn here is about 11 a hundred...would they gain better on the corn? i have been feeding the other cause someone told me its better..

Wish I could get corn at 11 a hundred.

medic_941":3recyxaq said:
what is it costing you?

We don't buy it. They eat grass on this cow calf operation. I might give the heifers some sweet 10 or 12 from time to time for relationship building.

Plain corn is fine, no need to go fancy. I like to feed 2% of their body weight in grain plus free choice alfalfa hay to that size dairy calf. Due to feed costs and returns on my investment, I've gone to raising just dairy heifers and the occasional beef/dairy crossbred steer.

Latest posts