Daily hair care

Help Support CattleToday:

showkid1200

Reaction score
Okay well right know its about for months till my fair i usually wash my steer once a week and rinse him and brush him atleast three times a week my question is what do i need to put on him to help train his hair i've heard to mix clean sheen with some other stuff and spray him blow it in and then the next morning rinse out or something? Any tips would help

Pink Oil is not a product to use in the summer when it is hot out. Get a good spray bottle with some show sheen and a shot of liniment and you will do well. Try sheening your calf when he is wet and brushing it in with a plastic wash brush and then blowing him out.

I use Revive in the evenings before I turn out. Do what you want durning the day but Revive is a conditioner and keeps the hair manageable and soft. Also keeps the skin from getting dry.

I spray it on and brush it in with a rice brush then blow them a little before I turn out.

Works well on hereford hair too.

mturner719":3d6xdf4a said:
Pink Oil is not a product to use in the summer when it is hot out. Get a good spray bottle with some show sheen and a shot of liniment and you will do well. Try sheening your calf when he is wet and brushing it in with a plastic wash brush and then blowing him out.

Since you are in Florida, please take this advice. The only thing different I like to do is brush in with a Rice Root brush, and let them "drip dry" under the fans. Do this in the morning, and blow out at night before turing out.

AAOK":18a3m0z2 said:
mturner719":18a3m0z2 said:

Since you are in Florida, please take this advice. The only thing different I like to do is brush in with a Rice Root brush, and let them "drip dry" under the fans. Do this in the morning, and blow out at night before turing out.

AA,
You can't let cattle drip dry when you are in humid conditions. You have to at least blow the top water out of them. I know this first hand.

mturner719":350p2xkd said:
AAOK":350p2xkd said:
mturner719":350p2xkd said:

AA,
You can't let cattle drip dry when you are in humid conditions. You have to at least blow the top water out of them. I know this first hand.

I agree. If you leave them dripping wet, it makes their bodies heat up. The warmth from their body heats up the excess water and therefore makes them hot. I would blow the majority of water out, but still leave them a little damp.

As for daily hair care, any sort of oils work. I use something different every day. Somedays i use revive, then others i use kleen sheen with a little rag oil mixed in. I have found that if you take your pink oil (the kind from walmart works the best) and while you are drying your calf, spray the pink oil directly into the airflow. This helps get the oils down to the skin. :D

~Britani~ 8)

Colorado2008":3i8ws51y said:
mturner719":3i8ws51y said:
AAOK":3i8ws51y said:
mturner719":3i8ws51y said:

AA,

I agree. If you leave them dripping wet, it makes their bodies heat up. The warmth from their body heats up the excess water and therefore makes them hot. I would blow the majority of water out, but still leave them a little damp.

As for daily hair care, any sort of oils work. I use something different every day. Somedays i use revive, then others i use kleen sheen with a little rag oil mixed in. I have found that if you take your pink oil (the kind from walmart works the best) and while you are drying your calf, spray the pink oil directly into the airflow. This helps get the oils down to the skin. :D

~Britani~ 8)

I wouldn't use pink oil on your calves in the summer. If you have a cooler and are keeping them out of the sun all the time then that is one thing. If your not, and keep them under a barn and under fans and misters then try the wet sheen thing and see how you get along. Try it and let me know how it works.

certherfbeef":e3okxuu8 said:
I use Revive in the evenings before I turn out. Do what you want durning the day but Revive is a conditioner and keeps the hair manageable and soft. Also keeps the skin from getting dry.

I spray it on and brush it in with a rice brush then blow them a little before I turn out.

Does it straighten it any? We've got a bunch of curly-haired babies from one of our bulls. They're big & stout, but that curly hair doesn't look as good as the straight.

Thanks Cowboy13, isn't Infusium 23 a shampoo? Do you really leave this in their hair? I'll try it, I just want to be sure how you used it and got good results.

I've tried Mane & Tail conditioner, and while that takes the curl out of their tails it seems it won't take the curl out of their body hair.

Chris H":ft0njskz said:
certherfbeef":ft0njskz said:

Does it straighten it any? We've got a bunch of curly-haired babies from one of our bulls. They're big & stout, but that curly hair doesn't look as good as the straight.

What I do for the curly hair is with a rice root, brush straight down, then forward. dry either forward or 45 degree angle. seems to work pretty well.

~Britani~ 8)

mturner719":3ilnures said:
AAOK":3ilnures said:
mturner719":3ilnures said:

AA,

Hey Matt,
This is just what we have always done. Let me tell you, the heat index doesn't get much more miserable than in Ada, OK. The high here today was 111, with humidity of 74%. I want my calves damp as much of the day as possible.

mturner719":2nm7f83j said:

I do use pink oil aolt in the winter but i try to minamize it i the summer. But yes show sheen or kleen sheen with with a little bit of liniment dose work very well. But i usually use a rice root brush.

Wash. Conditioner (tresemme). Comb. Blow dry. Rice root. White Lightning (like show sheen) and fly spray. Mane n Tail Leave in on tail heads and tails. Fan.

Daily routine for us. It has worked well. They still have good hair.

Chris H":i498irwa said:
certherfbeef":i498irwa said:

Conditioner and blowing help, but the best thing I have found is to double brush. Use a rice root in one hand and plastic wash brush in the other; brush with both hands just as you would with only one brush. One of my students straightened his angus bull's hair in less than a week using only the brushes.

I would rather use pink oil because it is a very light oil, but yes, that is true.

Latest posts