Daily Chuckle

Help Support CattleToday:

Saw a blurb that California is requiring them to teach cursive writing.... but I do not have a subscription to the Los Angelos Times so could not read the article...
Yes, I think it is now 11 states that have recently passed legislation to include an option or requirement to teach cursive. 16 states had previously done so, so the total is around 27 states that can or will be teaching it.

The problem (according even to the left leaning LA Times article) arose when Common Core came about over 10 years ago and it limited what could be included outside CC's curriculum. Cursive was one of the subjects that got omitted.

From LA Times:
"Across the country, cursive writing had been substantially abandoned for more than a decade in favor of teaching elementary school students to type after they learned to print letters. This anti-cursive trend was reinforced in 2010 when many states adopted the influential Common Core learning standards, which had dropped cursive entirely. Under the Common Core framework, states had limited flexibility to teach any skill that fell outside that curriculum. So many chose not to require cursive.

By 2016, only 12 states mandated learning cursive. Since then, however, 11 have reconsidered and restored cursive, with the latest being California and New Hampshire, according to a site that tracks cursive instruction."

(I do NOT have a subscription to LA Times but....A trick to viewing articles that include a paywall or anti-ad blocker software, is as soon as the page begins loading, click the X up above and to the left of the address bar. This stops loading the tracking software that checks to see if you have a subscription or if you are running adblockers and you can then read most of the article tho some of the pictures that might be included won't have had time to load)

(Probably belongs in the other section Religion/politics/controversy)

Last edited:
main-qimg-4eb09151ac5c9de1e792f450d4c97113

Latest posts