Cut on foot

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
I have a calf with a cut on her foot. There is no fresh blood, she's a little tender footed but she's still moving on it. Eating well, too. I don't have a squeeze chute so I'm needing some suggestions please.

If you can rig up two gates or even one into a medina gate, you can trap her. Google "granger cattle company" and you can look at their set up for fancy medina hinged gates. That is the outfit TXBobcat works for.

Wash it clean. Spray it with a topical. Super glue any open wound back together. Gauze and duct tape would be fine but you have to get it off.

Make sure to check for foreign objects like nails, glass thorns etc.

Think I would hit her with penicillin or LA300 just for overkill.

If there is a thorn or anything in there, you will be dealing with an abscess later. Get it out. Abscess is no fun to drain.

I second what BHB said, you can even use just a couple panels if the calf is not too big. Be careful using "duct tape" though. I prefer elastacon or vet wrap. If you encircle the foot and it swells, the duct tape does not give. (Stretch) And the presure can case nerve damage.

branguscowgirl":3l1365jv said:
I second what BHB said, you can even use just a couple panels if the calf is not too big. Be careful using "duct tape" though. I prefer elastacon or vet wrap. If you encircle the foot and it swells, the duct tape does not give. (Stretch) And the presure can case nerve damage.

She's right. Lots a gauze cushion if you use tape of any kind.

backhoeboogie":23h6q7fg said:
branguscowgirl":23h6q7fg said:

She's right. Lots a gauze cushion if you use tape of any kind.
Also, Cotton wrap or a fluffy cotex works! (Figure the more ideas the better.) :cboy:

branguscowgirl":2ce1zo3n said:
Also, Cotton wrap or a fluffy cotex works! (Figure the more ideas the better.) :cboy:

They make for some really good bandage material! Another item that works well are Pampers and Huggies, especially the size for newborns or Preemies.

Workinonit Farm":f3xn0mdh said:
branguscowgirl":f3xn0mdh said:

They make for some really good bandage material! Another item that works well are Pampers and Huggies, especially the size for newborns or Preemies.
I think that we have explored these options in an earlier thread and the guys weren't too hot on carrying cotex around with them! :mrgreen: Maybe they would prefer diapers! :shock:

Don't despair. If you can't get your hands on it, it will still heal. I tend not to get many cuts on my cattle but I have had a couple of nasty ones that I have treated with benign neglect as Dun would say and they have healed very well on their own. Those on calves seem to close up very rapidly.
Ken

wbvs58":3jtcznnx said:
Don't despair. If you can't get your hands on it, it will still heal. I tend not to get many cuts on my cattle but I have had a couple of nasty ones that I have treated with benign neglect as Dun would say and they have healed very well on their own. Those on calves seem to close up very rapidly.
Ken

I don't get many cuts. We have mesquite trees here. I hate them. Spray them and dig deep with the backhoe but they keep coming back. Cows bump calves out of the way and calves get thorns. If the thorn gets broken off, it'll abscess. I just dealt with a case.

Thanks for all the replies. You guys rock! I'm pretty sure that there isn't going to be much in there beside dirt, which will get cleaned out. I'm pretty sure she got cut on barbwire, or at the least in a trailer.

Thanks

Workinonit Farm":32mk0qlx said:
branguscowgirl":32mk0qlx said:
the guys weren't too hot on carrying cotex around with them! :mrgreen: Maybe they would prefer diapers! :shock:

Which is the lesser of the two---------evils. :lol2:

Okay. I'll comment. They are the best darn air filters you can find in a pinch. Obsorb moisture/condensate better than the real filters do.

I have never thought about using them for dressing wounds. It would sure beat a trip to town at 2 a.m. The only place open at that hour is Wal-Mart and there's nothing I hate worse than going there.

Yesterday I was out feeding and that calf ran to the hay. When she got up there she did a HUGE leap with all four feet out to the side and big old kick out to the side like a bucking bull. I'm thinking she's doing a lot better. :banana:

Great news!
I didn't think about it at the time, but it also good to give a Tetanus shot if they get a wire cut. :mrgreen:

Latest posts