Current Color Discount

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
In the current market discounts seem to have gone way up. Non blacks are discounted $1 to $2 per cwt. here a couple years ago. Now solid reds are still in demand, but anything else has a $5 to $7 per cwt. discount.

Are you seeing higher discounts too?

I would have to go to the yard and sit down with a notebook and record color and muscle scores to figure out if we had any color discrimination at all. When the state is only reporting a 3 to 5 cent spread I am inclined too believe there is no price advantage/disadvantage for color; there should be more spread than that just on calf phenotype. I have more faith in my sample than I do the state's.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/lswalabama.pdf

I think buyers discount any thing they can, simply more money in their pockets....In general I think many seller or at least small time guys around here expect to get docked on non black cattle...If I have a off color calf I expect him to bring a dime a lbs. less..not because he is worth less , just because the buyer can pay less, and get away with it...

alftn":2zm2f3yh said:
I think buyers discount any thing they can, simply more money in their pockets....In general I think many seller or at least small time guys around here expect to get docked on non black cattle...If I have a off color calf I expect him to bring a dime a lbs. less..not because he is worth less , just because the buyer can pay less, and get away with it...

Now why would the buyer get away with paying less for non black cattle but not black cattle? The buyer will pay more when he thinks he can make more on the back end.

Walt

Read what I said, THE BUYERS WILL DICOUNT ANTYHING THEY CAN, A limp on a black, a bloody spot, sore eye, yes some things are discounted for real others are just discounted to put more money in the buyers pocket.....

alftn":3bt4a3qg said:
Read what I said, THE BUYERS WILL DICOUNT ANTYHING THEY CAN, A limp on a black, a bloody spot, sore eye, yes some things are discounted for real others are just discounted to put more money in the buyers pocket.....

I read what you said. My point is the buyers are competing against each other for the purchase.

Walt

Txwalt":2t2b59dk said:
alftn":2t2b59dk said:

I read what you said. My point is the buyers are competing against each other for the purchase.

Walt
Good point Walt. I sold some smokies and blacks last week. Similar phenotype. Same money either color.

Latest posts