Culling Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

mcdowedd

Reaction score
I may get it for this question, but here goes anyway:

What is the definition of culling a cow? Does it mean to simply weed out and sell the cow or kill it?

Assuming the answer is to sell it, who would buy a cow that is obviously so bad off that it needed to be culled?

mcdowedd":2ct6zmpd said:
Assuming the answer is to sell it, who would buy a cow that is obviously so bad off that it needed to be culled?
Medic!! :lol: :lol:

A cull cow is something that is no longer performing up to par in my herd. She is either open, weaned a low weight calf, bottom end of the herd in a drought, bad attitute, broken mouth, unsound, or I just don't want to look at her anymore.

I have sent some decient cattle to the sale this summer. Some probably went as canners and cutters. Others I'm sure went back to the farm. I NEVER buy ouy of the barn. And I wouldn't suggest you buy out of an ohio sale barn either. Espically Kidron.

mcdowedd":17tqeva2 said:
I may get it for this question, but here goes anyway:

What is the definition of culling a cow? Does it mean to simply weed out and sell the cow or kill it?

Cull would usually mean sell and try to recoup something.

Hamburger!

Just remember, one man's cull is another man's treasure. I cull when I have as many cows as my land can support and I have a good heifer who's better than a cow I have.

now you asked the loaded question.a true cull cow is a non breeder.or a bad bagged cow.a cow that goes for hamberger.some people cull good cows,due to pasture being full or drought.those cows go into the bred cow an pair sale. scott

Dang, all those cows I bought at the sale barn were culls? They never mentioned it during the auction. Go figure.

I have culled them because they put me over the fence too many times, hooked me, ran me ragged trying to get her up, or just generally niced me off.

Culling is the removal of the animal from your posession for whatever reason you choose to give the process.
We cull the non-team players through sale, trade, charity or
processing.
The term implies that you have retained other animals and terminated your relationship with this particular animal.

Latest posts