Cull Cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
I saw this picture while reading an on-line publication about nutrition requirements. What do you think? Cull cow? Some will say that she's got one good teat to raise a calf with, but I'll bet this feller is small for his age.

cullcow.jpg

she was at one time a extremely heavy milker thats probably why they held on too her so long and why she could raise a calf on one teat. ill bet that one teat was a challenge to suck down .

I had a tiger stripe like that for awhile, she was a little hard to pen and so she stayed on the place about 3-4 years longer than I wanted. She had 3 huge teats and 1 normal sized one but she always had a calf on time & unaided. The calf was always able to get plenty of milk from that one teat until it was big enough to work on the bigger ones and grow off. But dispite her being productive ( a good calf to sale every year ) she went down the road the first time I was able to pen her.

So yes, IMO she should be culled.

;-)

Unfortunately, that situation is pretty common with Brahman influenced cows. We cull females with bad udders.. what's the point in propagating that in another generation?

Latest posts