Cull Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
With all the recent Cull bull talk it makes me wonder if many of these bulls might have started out as nice looking yearlings, but once they were put in the fields to work with no sack feed that is when they fell apart.

aplusmnt":9y4whrhj said:
With all the recent Cull bull talk it makes me wonder if many of these bulls might have started out as nice looking yearlings, but once they were put in the fields to work with no sack feed that is when they fell apart.

I am sure its true in some cases, but on this I believe its a managment issue more than a cull bull. You should get the correct type of bull for your conditions, preferably out of conditions similar or worse than yours.

When I think of culls its more structural and phenotypic faults, in other words traits that are controlled by genetics. (and I do know genetics play a role in easy doing ability)

Hard work isn't going to give a bull a twisted scrotum, or posty legs, etc.

Let's face it... a registered breeder that is trying to sell a bull, and consequently, his breeding, is going to fatten a bull up to sell. Go to any registered sale, and the bulls that are in top condition are the ones that will sell better, even though we all KNOW they will fall apart in the pasture on a bunch of cows. I've bought bulls that have been shown, and they have to be taken care of, or they'll run down fast.

I also think a yearling bull NEEDS to be fed if he's being turned out on cows. There's no way he can breed a bunch of cows, especially this time of year, and not lose weight.

bulls fall apart for differant reasons.1 is not having the gentices ie good feet an legs.2 they are young an put on to meny cows.an they work themselves to death breeding cows.3 they are worked in drought conditions.you have to feed the young bulls to make them grow.if you dont youll burn a bull up when you turn him out.i go to reg beefmaster sales where they dont over feed the bulls or cows.i like to see them in their working clothes.

BUying a yearling bull is alot like playing 7 card no peaky. You're just betting on what's coming. They may turn out better then you think they will as yearling, about like you expected or not worth spit.

aplusmnt":39mq6dlq said:

Bulls will lose weight regardless whether they were fed grain fed or forage fed when first turned out until they learn the ropes.

The fatter bulls will burn calories from fat first when not eating and chasing cows. A leaner bull with not much fat will lose much of his muscling if he is lacking fat.

Funny thing is the bulls with the highest Libido will lose weight faster than the lesser libido bulls.

Sorta depends on what time of year you turn your bulls out too.

If I turn one out in the dead of winter, I want a good layer of fat on him.

Fact is, The reason registered bull producers sell fat yearling bulls is because that's what people want. Look at the critics on these boards [most] If he's fleshy he gets compliments, if he's been out there working in range conditions thin, he gets all kinds of criticism.

mnmtranching":2czhop2c said:
Fact is, The reason registered bull producers sell fat yearling bulls is because that's what people want. Look at the critics on these boards [most] If he's fleshy he gets compliments, if he's been out there working in range conditions thin, he gets all kinds of criticism.

Correcto! Give that man a cigar and a prize from the top shelf!

Latest posts