CUBES VS SWEETFEED

Help Support CattleToday:

southernultrablack

Reaction score
Hello all I am a new poster long time reader. I was reading the post about cattle candy and it got me to wondering why would the cattle cubes be better than say a 10 percent sweet feed. I understand that the CUBES are higher in protein but are there any other benefits?

southernultrablack":3fz2qulc said:
Hello all I am a new poster long time reader. I was reading the post about cattle candy and it got me to wondering why would the cattle cubes be better than say a 10 percent sweet feed. I understand that the CUBES are higher in protein but are there any other benefits?

I think the main benefit is that you can feed cubes if you don't have troughs. I know that's the only time I use them.

I use sweet feed to keep them easy to catch if they get out and easier to get into the corrals. My cattle don't seem to like range cubes that much but will eat them if I leave them on the ground.

Off hand bugs and ants invade sweet feet. Half of it drips out of the cows mouth so you have to have feed tubs. Hard to put out feed tubs for 50 head. No waste with range cubes. Spread them on the ground anywhere.

backhoeboogie":3rwuwe4t said:
Off hand bugs and ants invade sweet feet. Half of it drips out of the cows mouth so you have to have feed tubs. Hard to put out feed tubs for 50 head. No waste with range cubes. Spread them on the ground anywhere.

Never had any ants to get in my feed barrels. No matter what feed you use IMO cattle are gonna waste some not to mention or at least the ones I bought that I posted on here had broken up pieces that would make it really hard for a cow to get it up after you throw it on the ground so those portions went to waste. Maybe my cattle have no manners and are slobs but I haven't fed them anything that they didn't waste some portions :lol2:

Deepsouth":bspr907v said:
Sky you have the only cow's I've ever of that didn't like cubes. I'd cull the whole bunch if they were mine.

I am glad they don't like them cause I had to special order them and they were 15 bucks a bag . They prefer my mix " sweet feed - fine screen corn- commodity pellets " and will run you over to get it.

southernultrablack":1njgy7rd said:
Thanks for the replies. End goal was just to keep them coming to me when necessary and a little extra supplementation along the way.
Sometimes cattle that have never been fed cubes don't have a clue what it is. Takes them a while to realize it's something good to eat but they'll eventually learn.

Grew up in UCLA(upper corner of Lower Alabama). Rich folks fed CSM cubes. Our cows had to be satisfied with some coastal hay and a red salt block. Think I fed some a couple of times, and they ate 'em right up...but I couldn't afford to do it on a regular basis.
Me and ol' bigfoot live here in the same county. Don't know that I've ever seen cubes at the SS or TSC stores.
My cows get fed better than those that grew up with me. Been limit-feeding DDG during the winter for years. It's like crack cocaine to my cows. They'll follow me anywhere for some.

Deepsouth":1b30lcdh said:
Sky you have the only cow's I've ever of that didn't like cubes. I'd cull the whole bunch if they were mine.

Mine won't hardly eat them. But, I never feed the either. I think it's something they have to get used to. My cattle just chew around on them then spit them out. B&G

Black and Good":2gsv8dfr said:
Deepsouth":2gsv8dfr said:

Mine won't hardly eat them. But, I never feed the either. I think it's something they have to get used to. My cattle just chew around on them then spit them out. B&G

Exactly the way they act when they really don't exactly what they're suppose to do with them. ...sprinkle a few out for several days and they'll eventually learn what they are and they will love them as well.

TexasBred":3k8b0kpd said:
Black and Good":3k8b0kpd said:
Deepsouth":3k8b0kpd said:

Exactly the way they act when they really don't exactly what they're suppose to do with them. ...sprinkle a few out for several days and they'll eventually learn what they are and they will love them as well.

...or mix them with some feed that they are used to. That's how I get yearling heifers trained to eat them.

My tractor supply doesn't carry them but I am working near PDFANGUS and went to his tractor supply since I was near it to get some stuff I looked around and saw they had cubes for $13.49 per bag. 20% protein.

ResizedImage_1429122735405_zps1ab5859c.jpg

ResizedImage_1429122734712_zps6bba9383.jpg

Latest posts