CSA and custom exempt butchering

Help Support CattleToday:

LostInADitch

Reaction score
Hey all, in Iowa and looking at CSA custom exempt butchering. Was wondering if anyone had input on the following.

With a CSA, can we fractionalize or put shares on an entire herd of cattle on one farm for ownership purposes?Example: We sell shares for a x$ amount which is worth x $amount of the herd or we sell fractions which is worth x$ amount of the herd. That way, a person basically owns part of the whole herd not just one animal. Can they then technically come in and pick and choose when and what they recieve up to the amount their share or fraction of the herd ownership is worth? And we could then mix and match cuts (we would still have each cut labeled with what animal it came from for record purposes) from animals to complete their share or fraction.

IE someone buys a 1/32nd of the yearly herd Slaughter which is 100 cows. If we Slaughter business monthly, they could come in whenever to pick up their share. Whether it's 10lbs here or there.

Also with a CSA could we not divide by packaged weight since the members would/could technically own a % of the actual facility itself which would put it in the realm of self butchering?

Not sure if I'm explaining it good or not.

If you are asking about custom butchering animals you raised, I was under the impression you could sell the animal then butcher for free. If the buyer is reselling I could see were there would be a problem though.

Hey all, in Iowa and looking at CSA custom exempt butchering. Was wondering if anyone had input on the following.

With a CSA, can we fractionalize or put shares on an entire herd of cattle on one farm for ownership purposes?
Example: We sell shares for a x$ amount which is worth x $amount of the herd or we sell fractions which is worth x$ amount of the herd. That way, a person basically owns part of the whole herd not just one animal. Can they then technically come in and pick and choose when and what they receive up to the amount their share or fraction of the herd ownership is worth? And we could then mix and match cuts (we would still have each cut labeled with what animal it came from for record purposes) from animals to complete their share or fraction.

IE someone buys a 1/32nd of the yearly herd Slaughter which is 100 cows. If we Slaughter business monthly, they could come in whenever to pick up their share. Whether it's 10lbs here or there.

Also with a CSA could we not divide by packaged weight since the members would/could technically own a % of the actual facility itself which would put it in the realm of self butchering?

Not sure if I'm explaining it good or not.
CSA = Community Supported Agriculture
aka subscription farming
vegetable farms where consumers pay annual fee and receive a % of the harvest
are the most common. Meat production is tricky, making it more complicated.
Consumers are only paying for the produce harvested and do not have any ownership or liability of the actual facility itself.

100 div by 32 = 3.125 animals per year, but animals vary in size and quality
and value, so actually 1/32 of entire meat harvest produced each year.

ie 1,000 lbs of liver harvested per year 1/32 = 31.25 lbs of liver delivered per year
or 2.6 lbs of liver each month

The same for each cut of meat harvested during the year.
The total pounds of each cut produced per year need to be divided by % purchased.
Everyone wants the steaks, but who wants the liver?
or everyone wants the steaks from the show heifer but who wants them from
the little one who injured her foot and didn't finish as well?

Last edited:
Appreciate the explanation. I knew the CSA thing was familiar.... vegetables.

I see it being a PITA. Other than you get money up front?
Not sure if this would work for you since you are doing 100 animals per year and I am only doing about 12-15, but we sell by the quarter, half or whole and get 600 dollar deposits from all customers (via call, text, email, i.e no formal billing syatem) and then another dep prior to the animal going to the beef barn.

I really like the deposit idea. Have mentioned it to people lately. Hadnt decided on a number.

We finished and sold 13 last year. Second year really trying to do it. Im thinking its the only way to make money in beef for us. Would like to get to a beef per week. Lol. Or 2 beefs per week.

Latest posts