Cross breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

bizybeehill

Reaction score
Ok here I go. I have been reading and it seems that cross breeding is a popular way to improve on heifer/cow and calf quality. My question is this. In your opinions what are the best crosses to produce good productive cows that produce quality calves? And what breed of bull would you breed them back to? Black Angus has been recomended to me to start with. My interest at this time is in trying to produce quality cows for herd development and beef production.

Any Thoughts??

bizybeehill":3hj3mwa1 said:
Ok here I go. I have been reading and it seems that cross breeding is a popular way to improve on heifer/cow and calf quality. My question is this. In your opinions what are the best crosses to produce good productive cows that produce quality calves? And what breed of bull would you breed them back to? Black Angus has been recomended to me to start with. My interest at this time is in trying to produce quality cows for herd development and beef production.

Any Thoughts??

Lot of good crosses for Angus. Hereford my no 1 hard to go go wrong with the baldies. Simm/Angus makes a nice cross also. Breeder up the road crosses British Whites and Angus look pretty good another uses Brahmans all have good looking calves.

For those areas that don't require the Brahman influence, I personally think that 1/2 Hereford and the other half either Simmenthal or Gelbvieh would be just a bout the ideal cross bred cow. Bred back to an Angus and you'ld have the heterosis going for you with not only the maternal side but also the calf end. Next best would be 1/2 Red Angus and the other half still being either Gelbvieh or Simmenthal and bred to a Hereford. That would be for the quality grid market. For the yeild grid as strictly a terminal cross on those same cows, limo.

dun

I have simmemtals and simmental crosses, simm x hereford , simm x red angus , simm x shorthorn , simm x black angus , I'm using a black simmental bull . I have to say that the shorthorn and red angus crosses are my favorites , That's what I've been keeping back for breeding, I only have one black angus x simm heifer which I just got last summer she was AI bred to black limo she had anice bull calf and so far she's been a good mother so time will tell

Ok so if I were to start with Black Angus cow or heifer breed to a simmental bull, keep the heifers as breeding stock...this would be a good start ???? I guess what ever I decied is going to depend on what I can find that looks good in my area.

Another benefit to breeding to a Simmental bull, will be that the offspring can be registered as a 1/2 blood Simmental. Of course, that's only a bene if you are interested in building registered stock. There are several breeds that you can upgrade with. I'm just prejudice.

My preference is AngusxHereford...maybe even a little Shorthorn thrown in the mix. This combo seems to work well for me and the environment I have. They are pretty easy-going, grow well, and and are "easy keepers". They also seem to be pretty hardy as well.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":3shr3z18 said:
My preference is AngusxHereford...maybe even a little Shorthorn thrown in the mix. This combo seems to work well for me and the environment I have. They are pretty easy-going, grow well, and and are "easy keepers". They also seem to be pretty hardy as well.

Katherine

Put a Murrey Gray on Herefords and that is what you have.

Put a Murrey Gray on Herefords and that is what you have.

Ahh, okay. I have two of those in my little herd, one has blue roan color pattern, and the other has the baldy color pattern except her face is "patched" with black. Both had mommas that were 1/2 Angus 1/2 Hereford with the "typical" Baldy look and their daddy was a red roan Shorthorn.
I bought them from a several-mile-away neighbor after having gotten to know him, and observed his herd and his ways of doing things for several years. I thought they might fit in well here.
Thankyou.

Katherine

Don't know much about MG but if it is roan it is definitely shorthorn cross - used to have a bunch of them.

Ahh, okay. I have two of those in my little herd, one has blue roan color pattern, and the other has the baldy color pattern except her face is "patched" with black.

Around here that "patched" face is called a "brockle" face.

Cheers

Bez

Latest posts