• Crossbred(composite)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Purebred

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

heyu

Reaction score
In the show ring, would you prefer a purebred such as a hereford, limousin, etc. or would you prefer a crossbred. This is a general question and has nothing to do with a particular calf. What would you prefer? Who do u think dominates the show circuit?

As "everyone" knows there is no one perfect breed. Animals get crossed to benefit the product. ex: limis are a carcass mass type breed, angus is a good maternal, good marbaling breed=Therefore Limi X Angus is more prefered. same in the showring.

no there like email's on this message board. in the top right hand corner of this page there is a thing that says in box click on it and you are in your pm's

HU HU LOL he is just bein a smart a$$ I think o an ZIBU do suck they do they do they do. lol lol lol ;-) ;-) ;-)

Back on topic -

It's simply what works for you. The purebred show ring seems to be more popular ( the exception being club steers - most of which can be registered in one or another b/c of low or no min. % )

I think that your show string should be a reflection of the best of your program. I think that showing is the opportunity to showcase your best critters. For example I show Chis, because I raise Chis. I buy show calves not just to show, but also to use in my program. In turn those ex show heifers later give me beautiful calves that I show. Just my philosophy.

I personally feel that in the show industry, the composite calf is more competitive in general. Don't get me wrong, there are awesome purebred cattle out there, but there just aren't enough great purebreds to compete against the crossbreds.

Wow, the rest of us obviously missed something that got pretty heated.

In Australia you are only allowed to show registered, purebred breeding stock. The only time you are allowed to show crossbreds is in the hoof and hook steer competitions (and even some of those are only available to purebreds).

It obviously was stupid, unimportant and possibly offensive if someone's posts were deleted.

This thread will be heading for a locking if this continues, something that doesnt happen all that much on the showboard.

Why dont we get back to the original question, which is an interesting one, IMO.

Based on your question I would have to go with Crossbred.
Crossbreeding can bring in the best traits of many breeds. It seems that the AOB's usually win overall grand at the big ones.
However, I do know lots of folks who have been very succsesful with purebreds. Really just depends on exactly what you intend on accomplishing. I knew a young man who had the Champion Angus Steer at Ft. Worth a couple years ago. After recieving his $35,000.00 check, he could have cared less about who beat him in the overall drive.

Latest posts