Creep gates can make your job easy

Help Support CattleToday:

NC Liz 2

Reaction score
Creep gates can make your job easy and they can be inexpensive.
The main reason I use creep gates is for weaning and per-conditioning of calves.

This is the style I have been using for over 30 years,
Here is the site where I found this pic which also shows pics of just about every creep gate every make.
Liz
https://www.google.com/search?q=cattle, ... B250%3B170

Dwa,
Why would you need a creep gate for weaning or pre-conditioning?
OK, but I am going to give you the Henry Ford version with nothing cast in concrete due to the many variables in cattle production.

Pre-conditioning for weaning:( open gate, start with fence line weaning )
On calf side, calves are fed feed and hay, without having to fed mamma and are allowed to pasture away from mamma, or return to mamma as they wish, which reduces the calf dependency on both mamma and her milk before full weaning. This reduces stress on both mamma and the calf.
This reduces the stress at full weaning and may totally reduce it, if momma kicks him off.
. ( closed gate to permanently separate momma from calf when he reaches your desire weight)
Calves are now well on their way to being fully weaned, if not already fully weaned, and preconditioned.
I now do any other preconditioning I feel required.
Liz

dwa":hzmfxkud said:
Sorting for weaning is time consuming and stressful for calves and mommas. Can be dangerous as well.
The video in the two-stage weaning/nose flap thread shows a form of creep gate (about 3:55 into the video) and no matter what ya think of the nose flaps, the function shown in that lttle part of the video speaks volumes---just doesn't get any easier than that.

greybeard":1j4ukeud said:
dwa":1j4ukeud said:
Sorting for weaning is time consuming and stressful for calves and mommas. Can be dangerous as well.
The video in the two-stage weaning/nose flap thread shows a form of creep gate (about 3:55 into the video) and no matter what ya think of the nose flaps, the function shown in that lttle part of the video speaks volumes---just doesn't get any easier than that.

We think sorting calves from cows for any purpose, is costly, stressful and dangerous for calves and cowboys. We've been working on how we take the time, danger and stress out of sorting and that video has given us several good ideas. Very useful video.

Ok. I was just checking. It sounds like you use it more for a "PRE"-weaning type deal. Pre-conditioning is after cow is separated from calf, so you are pretty much saying you use them to "prepare" them for weaning and pre-conditioning. Not for weaning and pre-conditioning. Kind of like the two stage weaning video to help them not rely on mom.

We have a creep panel that leads to a creep feeder, which is attached to the lane going to the squeeze chute. The panel is made from square tubing.
I like the idea of the calves learning to enter the pen and eat. They do it on their own and do not see the panel enclosure as threatening. It is more like a safe haven where they are not butted away from feed by the cows.

dwa":1dcjb6dq said:
Ok. I was just checking. It sounds like you use it more for a "PRE"-weaning type deal. Pre-conditioning is after cow is separated from calf, so you are pretty much saying you use them to "prepare" them for weaning and pre-conditioning. Not for weaning and pre-conditioning. Kind of like the two stage weaning video to help them not rely on mom.
I don't prewean. I have two 12' long 1/2 panels. Just standard 6' tall portable tube panels I cut the lower bars out of in the middle 8' of the panel, leaving the J legs--these get put in the middle of my holding pen. I run everything in when I get ready to wean and the Calves pretty much end up on the other side of the half panels all on their own. Cows and yearlings can't get under it. I push the calves on into the sweep alley and release the cows back out to pasture. Weaning begins that minute.

greybeard":3ilku9qy said:
dwa":3ilku9qy said:
I don't prewean. I have two 12' long 1/2 panels. Just standard 6' tall portable tube panels I cut the lower bars out of in the middle 8' of the panel, leaving the J legs--these get put in the middle of my holding pen. I run everything in when I get ready to wean and the Calves pretty much end up on the other side of the half panels all on their own. Cows and yearlings can't get under it. I push the calves on into the sweep alley and release the cows back out to pasture. Weaning begins that minute.

That makes sense. My reply was directed towards Liz. We have a good pen setup, cows pretty much have learned that when they get in pen to cut themselves out. The AARP(a couple of retired guys that help me at workings) and I can split around 200 pairs in about 30 minutes. It is not very stressful, maybe on the same 5% of cows that end up last time after time. They are first on the list to cull.

This is the first time I have actually had a decent pen to work with and I'm still tweaking it. aren't running anywhere near as many pairs as you are either--about 30 pairs last fall when I sold calves.

Greybeard ,
Maybe if I explain my operation a little bit and I can help you tweak yours.
I'm only running 50 cows now and breeding year round and I am a one person operation.
As a year round breeder it a little more complex so I will explain how I used creep gates back when I did seasonal breeding. But some of my procedure work both for seasonal and year round breeding.
My goal was and still is to raise calves from birth to sale with the very least amount of stress, with their weight being as high as possible (800 – 900 lbs ) with the least amount expense and labor cost, safely.
The size of the openings in the gate determines the size (weight ) of the calf that can pass through.
I use a 24 in wide, 42 in high (from the ground ) opening for up to 7 – 800 lbs.
For 600 lb caves I have found a 18 X 36 works for up to 6 – 650 lbs.
( that's black Angus calves )
Now here is your first benefit from using a creep gate.
If you do not have a scale or are poor at judging weight use your opening to determine weight.
When your calves look the weight you want to sell them, adjust your opening so they can just pass through. Then check your sales slip for actual weight and readjust your opening accordingly for your next batch.
This can also help you identify calves that were born to late breeders, that you may want to hold back until they reach your desired sales weight.
If you have a scale this way will/can cut the stress of a round up, separation and being run across the scale.
I think I will title this as a creep gate is also a scale.
TBC
Liz

Do you have a swing gate on your creep gate for shutting them in.
or out.
Yes!
Sorry, didn't I mention that? ( I must have had a B F )
As I breed year round I also have mine so I can easily adjust it for all below350 lbs to separate calves that need to be band.
Liz

Latest posts