creep feed

Help Support CattleToday:

tamarack

Reaction score
I have about 300bu of field peas and filled my creep feeder with them took quite a while for the calves to get used to them but now they are eating good anyone feed dry field peas in creep? The calves seem to be doing well.

tamarack":1mldjab3 said:
I have about 300bu of field peas and filled my creep feeder with them took quite a while for the calves to get used to them but now they are eating good anyone feed dry field peas in creep? The calves seem to be doing well.

No, Never have crept peas. But if they are eating it and nursing less it sounds like it is fine. Do you know what the protein in it is? I have always put pellet feed in my creep feeders. I use a 16% Cargill pellet. My theory with creeping is it keeps the bigger calves busy giving momma more time to graze alone. Also I think it makes them way easier to wean. B&G

Good point Deep. Thats one reason why I like the Cargill pellet is that it has "Bovitech" in it. I think that's what its called it is supposed control bloat. B&G

We do a 14% grower in our feeders and I agree it lets momma rest for a bit and calves are used to eating at weaning time. Def easier to wean.

tamarack":1jmmucmg said:
Nothing wrong with it but I'd suggest diluting it with corn. Protein on those peas will be well over 20%. Mix it half and half with corn and you still have at least 14% mix with much more energy.

Don't know where to buy corn around here only corn growing for cows is grazing corn none you can combine I think I may add some oats, bloat doesnt seem to be a problem so far.

tamarack":ehjbueuc said:
Don't know where to buy corn around here only corn growing for cows is grazing corn none you can combine I think I may add some oats, bloat doesnt seem to be a problem so far.
Not worried about bloat. Just trying to stretch the peas, lower the protein and increase the utilization of the protein....oats will work.

TexasBred":2uup32f7 said:
tamarack":2uup32f7 said:
Not worried about bloat. Just trying to stretch the peas, lower the protein and increase the utilization of the protein....oats will work.
Thanks for the tip I hadn't thought of it that way.

Latest posts