Creep Feed?

Help Support CattleToday:

Depends on what you intend to feed with it, and what your plans are. Nobody here can tell you because we cant see your cattle nor do we know what you intend to do with them. Just buy what fits your plan for your cattle.

gertman
what are you feeding? age of calves??
what feeds are available to you??
any commodities available??

In the heat, I wouldn't go with high protein.

Don't know what cattle you're feeding and what you are looking to do with them. You might try adding some specifics and putting the post over in the feedlot board. There are folks there who have a great deal of experience. I don't.

I will be feeding heifers and steers from 4-9 months of age. I'll market them at the stockyard in the special preconditioned calf sales. The only commodity feeds that are close are cottonseed and citrus pulp, but storage would be a problem.

I have never saw citrus pulp in feed stores. Where do you find that. I have bought beet pulp before but even the horses don't care for that.

Do you have a local feed mill? They could tell you what other customers in your area are using. In our area it is a 14 percent creep that the feed mill mixes up.

Jeff

gert,
There are several commercial creep rations available, Souther States carry some as do others.

A good 14% cp feed will do you fine, may have some hay available for them as well

another option may be a 5 part oat to 3 part corn and 1 part protein (sb meal, cotton seed meal, etc...)

once weaned try some corn gluten

When I started creep feeding a few years ago I used a 16% calf grower . but the last couple years I I've been using the same feed I grind for my steers which should be 12-13% , and it seems to work fine , I used to be against creep feeding but I think I takes some stress off the cows when grass gets short.

I used to be against creep feeding but I think I takes some stress off the cows when grass gets short.

Actually milk consumption does not decrease when creeping calves.

Creeping does however, allow more grass for your cows, thus increasing the milk supply and giving the calves that extra edge in energy.

Helps marbling scores too.

Creeping is not for everyone. But if the energy consumables available to calves are low, it's the way to go.

Latest posts