crazy limos

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't have a lot of experience, but have had to sell a wild cow, before she ruined the others. In two weeks she had a calf that would walk up and smell me, running like it thought it was a whitetail trophy to a bawling mama, got her into trailer with no blood spilt, felt lucky to get rid of her, a hereford cross. Have some limos and angus, limos haven't given me a problem, but two angus have. One, if you get too close when she calves, you will get hurt. Two to three weeks afterwards, she watches me, but does not bother me at all, the problem is she throws the best calf on the place, can't fault her for being protective. Just hope if anyone tries to rustle a calf, they pick hers. The other angus never gave me any trouble, until she was the last one to work, and managed to back out of the chute. In short, experienced cow people have always told me watch all of them, and cut you losses on a wild one, before you or your help get hurt. I am trying to work the skittish ones through the corral first, and keep the most gentle ones for the last bunch.
Always learning,
rjk

it seems y'all have forgotten some of those crazy american breeds. i've come across my fair share of crazy gerts, brahmas, and simbrah just in this past year. though i must say the craziest i've heard of so far was a hereford. but again, that was only heresay. never actually saw that one.

i dont know if i've already commented on this thread or not and dont care frankly. over the yeras ive dealt with more limousins than angus. ive seen limousins be flighty, ive seen limousin bulls get agressive. but by far the craziest animals ive seen so far in my experience and at sales have been angus or brangus or their crosses. if i just had to choose, i'd rather have an animal that tries to escape than one that wants to eat my lunch and beat me up afterwards. i can build taller fences but not with broken appendages.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3goxsa9t said:
Temperament is #1 on this farm. I'm 5'2 and I do 90% of the cattle chores. I cannot & will not tolerate bad temperament. Now, if they are a little snotty at calving, but I can lure the cow away with grain, and she's fine out in the pasture, that's OK. Every year I "grade" the calving temperament of each cow. Helps me be prepared at next calving.
When we have a bad tempered animal, it gets shipped on the rail if it's a cow, sold as a feeder if it's a heifer calf. If everyone did that, there wouldn't be so many breeds with "known" bad temperaments.
I can only remember one heifer calf that we shipped. She was beautiful, everyone that came to the farm picked her out as "the show heifer", sale manager picked her for a consignment sale. Long story short - she would literally take you in a pen, so we pulled her out of the sale & shipped her.
ALL breeds have bad ones - just how many within a breed makes a difference.
I love Vicki's comment "Salers are hairy-limis".

Glad to see I am not the only one who "grades" my cows temperments. ;-)

My mother and I do all the work with the cattle and we won't put up with bad temperments either. We have never bought a limosine because we have heard from people in every breed that they aren't the calmest cows. I am sure there are good ones and bad ones but we never saw the reason to take the chance when there are other breeds that have great calves that are known for a more docile temperment. I didn't think making that decision for our operation made
us incompetent I thought it made us smart. ;-)

Victoria":mcpykrkk said:
I didn't think making that decision for our operation made
us incompetent I thought it made us smart. ;-)

Victoria, I would agree 100% - it doesn't make you incompetent, just smart! We have had a few ill-tempered cows over the years, none of them stuck around for very long - not worth it! ;-)

We held on to one bad one for way to long, should have known when we could not get her tamed to show, it was time to get rid of her. But we were new to the cattle and hated getting rid of such a nice looking, expensive heifer.

After two years and her getting worse and worse sent her to the auction a few months back. And since then working cattle has been so much more pleasurable! Did not realize the stress the cow caused until I saw how much nicer it was when she was gone. Never will I tolerate a bad cow again!

Having a bad tempered cow OF ANY BREED, is so stressful. She will rile up the whole group, makes walking thru the group difficult, if not scary. I hate the feeling in the pit of my stomach when you look up & see "that cow" facing you :shock: Not worth it.