crazy limos

Help Support CattleToday:

farmer rich

Reaction score
Whenever someone mentions Limousin on this board someone always brings up the temperment issue. Seems to me that some people lack confidence, or should that be competence, in their cattle handling skills.
;-)

You can be competent and confident and still be honest enough to tell others that one breed of cattle is wilder than another breed of cattle. What they do with that information is then up to them.

Yeah, but IMO 90% of the people that are saying the limis are crazy, is coming from people that have never raised Limis. But instead they are going off info a friend of a friend told them. But the only reason this friend told his friend this is because he an Angus breeder.

LimiMan":1vbtzc42 said:
Yeah, but IMO 90% of the people that are saying the limis are crazy, is coming from people that have never raised Limis. But instead they are going off info a friend of a friend told them. But the only reason this friend told his friend this is because he an Angus breeder.

I think that there is more than a little truth to that statement too. Our Angus were always more high strung than our Herefords and Pinzguaers were and our Senepols and the Brahman-Angus cross cows were more high strung than the Angus ever were. The neighbor's Gert-Lim cross cows were a LOT more high flying than anything I have ever owned, though I think the Lims can't get all the blame. I worked for a operation that had Reg. Lims, Herfs, and Anguses and the Lims really had "the snot flying" anytime you did anything with them. I never found them to be unworkable though; but Lims don't leave any ground for mistakes. I do find it a little "odd" though that Angus breeders are using the temperment issue against Lims while Herf breeders have been trying to use that against Angus for as long as I can remember.

I am a fan of Limi's' but every crazy Steer or cow on the place has been a limi so far. Last one to leave the place was a nice cow that we had bought for a show heifer but could not get her tame enough.

My skills might not be good, but I can tell when my 8 year old son stands by the fence and she snorts at him and then takes off running in dead run at the fence and you think she is going to run right through the fence and trample a young kid. That it takes more than handling skills to deal with a cow like that.

Everytime my son or any little kids were around she went nuts. She did it with me also but I could shoo her away and she would quit it but I was afraid my kids were not even safe in yard. Took a big loss on her but things sure have been nicer when comes time to load, work them, or kids want to walk to creek or barn.

Limies in my experience are alot like charlios cattle. They are either really easy to work with, or they are REALLY bad.

warpaint":2kh26l7i said:
I think you can get good and bad in any breed. I have had worse luck with chars than any other.
IMO, Limis and Salers, overall are about as crazy as they come. Granted other breeds can can have an attitude, Angus included, Herefords less than probaly anything else.

yeah, it seems every time I would try to sort out a gelbvieh, I picked the one who thought she was a deer.

The vet at the salebarn says he likes it when they have to work limos, they can get so many through the chute so much faster then any other cattle.

dun

LimousinOn an breed average? Limousins are the wackiest and hardest to work with I have ever personally handled. Speaking from personal experience and not what a friend of a friend has told me.
Don't know about Salers, also hear Chianinas are very hot blooded. But I cannot say anythng about them from first hand experience.
bif

Brandonm2":16kciqil said:
You can be competent and confident and still be honest enough to tell others that one breed of cattle is wilder than another breed of cattle. What they do with that information is then up to them.

You are 100% correct I would put them in a class with the Tigers only the cattlemen that own will tell you they will fight a circle saw.
Neighbor has a herd of them(Limis) fine lookin cows but you better watch em in a pen.

By the way farmer rich anytime you want to play cowboy, saddle up. I got some girls here like to meet you.

By confidence or competence in cattle handling skills, I take it to mean they lack the assuredness that they can get to the fence before the cow does or should that be they physically lack the ability to out run her? :lol:

Not to knock anyone's breed, but I don't know anyone should be too sure of themselves or a cow if she is just plain crazy because she can just plain kill you.

My cousins wifes uncles grandparents had some Limos once.

He said, she said, he said, they said............................. the dispositions were excellent.

Good enough for me.

farmer rich":1sbuikhc said:
Whenever someone mentions Limousin on this board someone always brings up the temperment issue. Seems to me that some people lack confidence, or should that be competence, in their cattle handling skills.
;-)

Not trying to start something here, but seems to me like you're wrong. I don't know the first thing about Limousins, but a crazy cow is a crazy cow. There is no way of knowing what she is going to do, when she is going to do it, or why. You can do the exact same thing 5 days running, the first 4 no problem, the 5th she goes ballistic. That is what makes her dangerous. Just my thoughts.

I generally don't comment on different breed dispositions. I've worked with a lot of breeds professionally. No bos indicus, they die here (I've seen them and they were skinny and poor doing in winter here, JMO)

Overall, SOME Limos are the hottest blooded cattle I've worked with both in Saskatchewan / Alberta and Ontario. They've cleared 6' fences and not wobbled the top rail. I've been charged by a cow with a full uterine prolapse, who only went up the chute because I was backing up it as she rammed my kit. I've seen bad cattle of almost all breeds, but limos take the cake. My hubby, who is more opinionated than me (if possible) calls Salers "hairy limos". Enough said.

I know limousins are crazy. I used to work for Woodbrook Limousin Farms, they buy good cattle from Wulfs, and other big name breeders like Magness and I think Express. They are a big operation who is only getting biiger in to Limousins. While working at the farm running these cows through the pens, the owner told me " always watch these limousins cause they will kill you!" Ive always heard its the limo cows and not the bulls thats so crazy.

<chuckle> I'm gonna throw in on this 'pick on Limo' day too. Limo's, Salers and Chianinas are, on average, the most foul tempered of cattle (Chias won't typically try to run you down, but I've seen em clear fences like you wouldn't believe). I don't much care for Longhorns when they calve either.

Anyone ever worked with old fashioned Black Angus cattle? The little short bodied, stub legged ones? I don't see them around anymore, but on calving day, and for the next couple weeks after, you couldn't get within 100 yards of a pen :) The neighbor had a herd of 50-60, and when you'd ride by them doing checks, the cows would storm out of the bushes and try to take your horse out from under you.

I owned one, and she calved on a brutally cold night. I couldn't get her to move the calf in on her own, and she kept charging me. Finally the calf got up, and chased me into the barn, with this maniacal cow hot on my heels. I got her locked up, then went around the back of the shelter and popped open a little peek-a-boo door I've got back there. Her calf was lying right there, so I checked its ears. Next thing I know, momma was snapping at me, and bit me, lol. Never owned a carnivorous cow before.

Rod

CopeMan":3n9x7lo9 said:
I know limousins are crazy. I used to work for Woodbrook Limousin Farms, they buy good cattle from Wulfs, and other big name breeders like Magness and I think Express. They are a big operation who is only getting biiger in to Limousins. While working at the farm running these cows through the pens, the owner told me " always watch these limousins cause they will kill you!" Ive always heard its the limo cows and not the bulls thats so crazy.

This is my point, you have been told alot but you never mention ever having any trouble with them