Cracked or Whole corn..

Help Support CattleToday:

Take a sample of both have them tested, craked corn should have better passage rate, and utilize more of the starch, also moisture will impact feed values.

Actually, I like corn that comes cheapest - so I will use what ever is available at the lowest price.

:D

Bez>

Bez>":19jperxi said:
Actually, I like corn that comes cheapest - so I will use what ever is available at the lowest price.

Bez>

Assuming same price, what do you get the best value from. A ton of whole corn or a ton of cracked corn?

Wasn't that the question? :lol:

( I buy mine whole and mill it ).

The figures I have seen indicate 6% better utilization with cracked, but offset that with increased acidosis problems if not fed properly, and the cost of milling.

I have also heard, " If you have more time than the cow to process it, go ahead! ". :lol:

ALX

AngusLimoX":2bqj1m2r said:
Bez>":2bqj1m2r said:

Bez>

Assuming same price, what do you get the best value from. A ton of whole corn or a ton of cracked corn?

Wasn't that the question? :lol:

( I buy mine whole and mill it ).

The figures I have seen indicate 6% better utilization with cracked, but offset that with increased acidosis problems if not fed properly, and the cost of milling.

I have also heard, " If you have more time than the cow to process it, go ahead! ". :lol:

ALX

Yes it was and I have found over the years that despite the continual arguing and debating there is not a significant enough difference for the average cattleman to make it worth worrying about.

Unless .... you are feeding hundreds of animals. The average person here feeds less than 10 I would bet.

Then there is the - "Oh, oh, I found a grain of corn in the schitzen - they must not be using it!!"

Look closely and the cracked stuff is there too - just harder to see.

In fact I have found it sometimes pays to feed rolled barley or oats and despite the "number crunchers" that will pop up when I say this - the results are sometimes as good or better.

No one seems to take the GENETIC factor into account - as they expect wonders when feeding out some bag of bones dairy animal simply by throwing grain at it.

I also wonder how many people worry about this when they should be making an effort instead to take the time to put the verterinarian on their speed dial in preparation for the next "My calf is sick, has been sick for 5 days and I do not know what to do"?

Hence my very tongue in cheek comments. I will remain this way forever - and while I am not a big time operator, we have run our share of animals.

Have a good one.

Bez>

Latest posts