Coyotes

Help Support CattleToday:

The yotes here get the odd free range hen.. for the most part they understand our deal.. stay away in the daytime or you get shot.. At night they come walking all over the place, never had any problems from them. They've watched me run the baler from the edge of the field, about 50 ft away from me. If they eat some fawns, I'm OK with that, deer cause more damage here than the yotes.

Protective cows is probably the best deterrent.. My friend's herd had some longhorns/corriente cows.. 3 yotes came in, my buddy shot 2, the cows killed the other one before it made it to the fence.
I don't have a dog, and my cows will see anything.. Most of the time they stay calm, they seem to know the usual visitors, but do get worked up quickly about the strange ones.. cougars, grizzlies.. thankfully that's very rare.

We have them here and have seen them in a pack getting calves a couple of times. One neighbor came up to check his cows that were calving and they were coming at the cow from several sides and the calf was just born, wet, and she hadn't had time to barely get up and try to lick it. We had one that hung around the barn area where we were calving some old cows and it never bothered them, but the next year we lost 3 calves within 12 hours of birth and heard the coyotes every night til we got someone to come in and hunt. As soon as the nighttime noise stopped, the calf loss stopped.
They are a real problem in some of the suburbs now. We shoot every one we see now, a friend got bit and it was rabid....so no free passes. Have had some rabid foxes, and one farmer had a cow that went nuts and turned out it had rabies.

Neighbor few miles away ranch is Coyote Hills Ranch and the name fits.
Every evening we have a chorus howls and I see them and signs of them all the time.
I've never had a problem with them and to my knowledge none of my neighbors have either.
The last couple of years we've been plagued with an over abundance of rats and rabbits. I think the coyotes are being to whittle them down some.

I have a fall calving herd. A few years ago I couldn't tag calves because the cows were so aggressive towards me. They had never been that way in previous years. Someone suggested I put a donkey with them. I put a mammoth female donkey with them and haven't had any problems since. This group of cows are in close proximity to a heavily wooded creek. We've had more frequent sightings of mountain lions and I'm thinking there was a cat in the area that had them really nervous. Lots of coyotes around here but they are opportunists. Used to be a lot of guys hunted coyotes and they did more damage than coyotes. Fences were cut, gates left open, some stole baby calves under the guise of hunting. I figured they actually created a superior line of coyotes with their hunting. They only killed the stupid, sick or old ones, leaving the young, strong, smart ones. I have read that if you have a pack of coyotes and they don't bother your animals, leave them alone. If you disrupt their group, you open it to new members which changes the dynamics and they may come after your calves,etc. Worst nightmare is a coyote/domestic dog cross. They're bigger and nearly fearless of humans.

I hear them every night but they make a big circle around my place. I assume they're after fawns and rabbits, but both may be at a minimum after this last flood event.
To my knowledge, I've never had a problem with them as far as calves go.

Caustic Burno":18b8j6j2 said:
Coyotes get a bad wrap fluffy is in a lot more danger than a calf.
A yote is an opportunist along with being a coward. Your calves are in greater danger from Rover that kills for fun and Mr Coyote comes by to dine at Lubys.
The coyote wants to grab his meal and run that makes poultry and pets on the menu not something guarded by a 1200 pound mom.
You can see coyotes almost any evening in the pastures, they don't bother calves .

Yup. I have watched coyotes walking thru cows bedding under trees digging up stuff to eat. Cows didn't pay any attention to them.

I'm sure if you get a couple mature coyotes to group up they could do some damage but I think that's rare. Any half azz momma should be able to fight them off.

They are hell on fawns though as are bobcats.

Nesikep":1s0anbup said:
Who was it here that had to get a rabies shot a couple year ago because of a rabid cow? Skyhightree perhaps?

Yes, it was Sky. I guess the old medicine man was off at a powow or on some other kind of sabbatical.....

Ky hills":hnk2ncsc said:
ALACOWMAN":hnk2ncsc said:
But you don't actually know for sure,it was coyotes that did it...

I feel very certain it was coyotes, I don't know of any other animal that could or would do that specific way. If it was domestic dogs they would have been more maimed up something awful, had that happen to several goats when I was a child.
My mother saw a coyote get a lamb and carry it off in the evening while it was still daylight, we tried about every kind of prevention possible from electric fence to guard dogs and donkeys. The guard animals worked ok as long as they stayed with the sheep.
I read in Farm Show about a guy who hangs strips of bacon on his hot wire fence. He claims it trains the coyotes to keep away, says it doesn't take very long and the bacon will dry up after they get trained.

Caustic Burno":3irk6409 said:
If my memory serves me correct skunk and coons were number one and two carriers of rabies.
Around here #1 is bats, skunks and coons are 2 and 3

dun":2eptnkqw said:
Caustic Burno":2eptnkqw said:
If my memory serves me correct skunk and coons were number one and two carriers of rabies.

My first set of Rabies shots was from a bat bite. My recent 'boosters' (2 of them) were from a feral cat.

Workinonit Farm":ti6vyay7 said:
dun":ti6vyay7 said:
Caustic Burno":ti6vyay7 said:

My first set of Rabies shots was from a bat bite. My recent 'boosters' (2 of them) were from a feral cat.
What the what?? A bat?!? You gotta tell that story. :shock:

Knock wood, they coyotes are obnoxious and even poop on our driveway when the dogs are in at night, but we've never had a problem with them going after our calves. They did, however, completely destroy a 14 pt buck my husband shot & couldn't find for 6 hours.

I ran a small snare line a few years back on a grown up fence row and caught 6 or 7. The snares where really cheap (pre-made) it was something fun to do in the winter, but we kill all we see

TCRanch":2f44xvx6 said:
Workinonit Farm":2f44xvx6 said:
dun":2f44xvx6 said:

:lol2: :lol2: Yeah.......... a bat. :lol2: Funny now, not so much back then.

Back around July of 1999, was out on the back deck chatting with a friend, looking up at the sky, thought I felt one of those big-a$$ moths in my hair, and I kind of swatted to get it out. Later on, when I got out of the shower, drying off, I noticed 2 perfect little punctures on left wrist. Sat there in bed, trying to figure out what they were, then it dawned on me that it wasn't a 'moth' at all but a bat! I couldn't believe that a bat had actually gotten tangled in my hair. :lol2: I always thought that was one of those old wive's tales kinda thing. NOPE! It really does happen. :shock: Next morning went to the doctor, he confirmed bat bite. Wanted to know if I "still have the bat" :roll: "no, it flew away". :lol2: So, he said he had to treat as if the bat were rabid. :| Better to be safe than sorry, made sense to me.

Workinonit Farm":3g0xp471 said:
TCRanch":3g0xp471 said:
Workinonit Farm":3g0xp471 said:

:lol2: :lol2: Yeah.......... a bat. :lol2: Funny now, not so much back then.

Back around July of 1999, was out on the back deck chatting with a friend, looking up at the sky, thought I felt one of those big-a$$ moths in my hair, and I kind of swatted to get it out. Later on, when I got out of the shower, drying off, I noticed 2 perfect little punctures on left wrist. Sat there in bed, trying to figure out what they were, then it dawned on me that it wasn't a 'moth' at all but a bat! I couldn't believe that a bat had actually gotten tangled in my hair. :lol2: I always thought that was one of those old wive's tales kinda thing. NOPE! It really does happen. :shock: Next morning went to the doctor, he confirmed bat bite. Wanted to know if I "still have the bat" :roll: "no, it flew away". :lol2: So, he said he had to treat as if the bat were rabid. :| Better to be safe than sorry, made sense to me.
I 'bout lost it when a huge locust got stuck in my pony tail; a bat in my 'do would require an exorcism. Yikes!!!

I caught a bat a few years back on a hula popper fishing at night down at my pond. He hit it about 1/2 thru the cast. It was a mess getting the nasty critter off that treble hook. Rats with wings.

greybeard":2ftml7i8 said:
I caught a bat a few ears back on a hula popper fishing at night down at my pond. He hit it about 1/2 thru the cast. It was a mess getting the nasty critter off that treble hook. Rats with wings.

Never caught a bat on a hula popper tons of bull frogs.
I bet that was interesting.

Latest posts