Coyotes

Help Support CattleToday:

glfgy74

Reaction score
An interesting experience yesterday...

I was adjusting the Carburetor on my daughters 4 wheeler yesterday afternoon when I heard the neighbors chickens clucking and flying around. They have free range and come over to visit quite a bit, I didn't think much about it because it was around 5 in the afternoon. Couple of minutes go by and I heard them again, i looked over toward the fence line where they were and I saw a Coyote about 25 yards from me bearing down on one of his chickens...

I didn't have my pistol or rifle in hand so I made a fairly mad dash into the closet to grab'em and by the time I could get back outside my dogs had them ran off and about 200 yards away in the back of the pasture. 3 of them total, I have a 1910 Savage 1899 .303 caliber without the sights or a scope so my chances were slim to none. None was what i got...I fired a shot at them as a get out here anyway, showing them!

We just had a calf a couple of weeks ago and are expecting another one anytime...plus a little girl running around. I know they must be real hungry because i can't believe they'd be so bold otherwise. I mean those suckers were right under my nose and i never knew it.

I wonder if i shouldn't ask my neighbor to get his chickens caged up so they won't be tempted to come close or maybe we just risk losing a couple to shoot Coyotes???

anyone having/had this happen?

I would tell your neighbor about the incident , he will probably pen the chickens up anyways if he cares at all what happens to them . I would they rather eat the chickens then try their luck at getting a new born calf ;-)

According to information I have decieved here, there are good coyotes, and bad coyotes. Sounds like you have the bad kind. I would probably try to kill them. Maybe even snare them if it's legal where you are.

We have opened our farm up to a professional trapper with instructions to "take 'em all", not because I fear what they might do to our calves, but because what I know they do to the turkey and rabbit population. We have a group of guys who hunt our land for turkey and rabbits, as well as deer, and they have seen a decrease in the numbers since the yotes have moved in.

If you can trap them alive, anybody who runs a fox pen will likely pay <>$200 for them. They use them to practice their hounds. If your hounds kill or injure a coyote, you have to pay for it, so most of those coyotes live a good long life, they are fed and they get to tease hounds on the weekend. It's a win win win.

3 of them was probably mom and almost grown pups. If the neighbor keeps their chickens put up for a while they might move on. They shouldn't keep coming back unless they find a food source.

glfgy74":1m2kvkmr said:
An interesting experience yesterday...

I was adjusting the Carburetor on my daughters 4 wheeler yesterday afternoon when I heard the neighbors chickens clucking and flying around. They have free range and come over to visit quite a bit, I didn't think much about it because it was around 5 in the afternoon. Couple of minutes go by and I heard them again, i looked over toward the fence line where they were and I saw a Coyote about 25 yards from me bearing down on one of his chickens...

I didn't have my pistol or rifle in hand so I made a fairly mad dash into the closet to grab'em and by the time I could get back outside my dogs had them ran off and about 200 yards away in the back of the pasture. 3 of them total, I have a 1910 Savage 1899 .303 caliber without the sights or a scope so my chances were slim to none. None was what i got...I fired a shot at them as a get out here anyway, showing them!

We just had a calf a couple of weeks ago and are expecting another one anytime...plus a little girl running around. I know they must be real hungry because i can't believe they'd be so bold otherwise. I mean those suckers were right under my nose and i never knew it.

I wonder if i shouldn't ask my neighbor to get his chickens caged up so they won't be tempted to come close or maybe we just risk losing a couple to shoot Coyotes???

anyone having/had this happen?

Happens every year about this time the young yotes are out roaming from this springs litter,
learning to fend for themselves.
I have been watching three in the pasture nearly everyday after mice ands squirrels.

Yeah that problem is common around here too. Had the trapper out and he has gotten quite a few off of our place. Had them come in after our dogs, my birds and anything else they can get.

Bigfoot":tc0fm6az said:
According to information I have decieved here, there are good coyotes, and bad coyotes. Sounds like you have the bad kind. I would probably try to kill them. Maybe even snare them if it's legal where you are.

Bigfoot, there are new techniques in that Good Coyote/Bad Coyote Concept. The University of Toronto has DNA tested every coyote in North America. If you send them a DNA sample from the coyotes on your farm, they can tell you if they are Good Coyotes or Bad Coyotes.

Send your sample to:

Good Coyote/Bad Coyote
C/O University of Toronto
563 Spadina Crescent
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2J7 Canada

any yote keeping me up at night yippin is a bad yote and inherently a dead yote...keepin the dogs up too...they dont like it either

dieselbeef":1uvoz1v5 said:
any yote keeping me up at night yippin is a bad yote and inherently a dead yote...keepin the dogs up too...they dont like it either

You would be one huntin sleepless fellow in this neck of the wood's.

dieselbeef":vicm1a37 said:

We are surrounded by them down here also db. That's is why no one out here has chickens. The coyotes have free run of the Badcock Ranch which we back up to. It is 90,000 acres so they keep breeding and breeding. Becoming quite an issue here. They caught and killed 3 cats in town last weekend. I keep some type of rifle next to both my doors.

melking":3mtr6wui said:
dieselbeef":3mtr6wui said:

We are surrounded by them down here also db. That's is why no one out here has chickens. The coyotes have free run of the Badcock Ranch which we back up to. It is 90,000 acres so they keep breeding and breeding. Becoming quite an issue here. They caught and killed 3 cats in town last weekend. I keep some type of rifle next to both my doors.

Green Laser light or green tactical work wonders.

thats a nice looking setup..i use an ar usually tho..or my 3030 if i gotta run and grab somethin..shots are real limited tho since im bordered by roads and 3 sides

Caustic, Sure do like that Green light...my neighbor has a nice setup like that! Maybe someday i'll drop a few bucks on it!

Hope all is well in the Thicket?? Second Bull calf came into the world Saturday Night! This one may be a keeper! although i feel that way about all of them....This one's EPD's will be really good!