Good Coyotes/Bad Coyotes

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":1xl9f5y2 said:
Caustic Burno":1xl9f5y2 said:
Rattlesnake is the only thing I will go out of my way to kill.
I am of the mind if you are not bothering my stuff it's safe.
Yotes get a bad wrap and blamed for what a lot of Rovers work.
They just come along and find a free meal.
I don't have a problem with pulling the trigger on any varmit getting into my stuff.
If they are not figure they have just as much right to be here as I do.

Use to have 3-4 that literally lived at the end of the small pasture for the close up cows waiting for one to calve so they could grab the afterbirth and run off with it. Never bothered a calf. My big pyrenees did chase one down and kill it a couple of years ago though. I hear them in the distance at times but haven't seen one on the place since then.
They would stay in the fresh cow pasture also to pickup the tapioca pudding that the new calves would pass.

My son lives near a very large "Open Space" in Aurora Colo. He says it is not uncommon for them to do a drive by on people walking small dogs. Funny thing is there are hundreds of prairie dogs and their subdivision is infested with rabbits. The yotes don't seem to have any effect on either species.

Very few prairie dogs left out in west central Texas. When I was a youngun, they used to be everywhere around San Angelo and Sweetwater, but I only knew of one colony left when I lived there '95-2006. Not sure what killed 'em all off tho--I never heard anyone say.

greybeard":166gkzws said:
Very few prairie dogs left out in west central Texas. When I was a youngun, they used to be everywhere around San Angelo and Sweetwater, but I only knew of one colony left when I lived there '95-2006. Not sure what killed 'em all off tho--I never heard anyone say.

They plague out usually when you see those big die off's. What I can't figure out is why the yotes don't decimate the rabbit population in that subdivision. They are so bad that folks are worried about Tularemia. It is starting to show up some. I told my son to get one of those nuclear powered pellet guns and start cleaning them out himself.

Aaron":3igz19lc said:
All the coyotes around here are good, they keep the wolves' territory at bay.
Not really, the wolves will chase down and kill the coyotes. They will wiped out the coyotes after the wolves moved in. Never seen a single coyote, a wandering dog or a fox on our property after the wolves moved in. I just rather have coyotes than wolves.

Caustic Burno":ufbky2il said:
Rattlesnake is the only thing I will go out of my way to kill.
I am of the mind if you are not bothering my stuff it's safe.
Yotes get a bad wrap and blamed for what a lot of Rovers work.
They just come along and find a free meal.
I don't have a problem with pulling the trigger on any varmit getting into my stuff.
If they are not figure they have just as much right to be here as I do.

X3

3waycross":8d0xdore said:
good snake

snake24n-2-web.jpg

bad snake
snake.jpg

You can tell cause the good one has a flat head and the bad one has a pointy head

Taurus":13v6xnc0 said:
Aaron":13v6xnc0 said:
Not really, the wolves will chase down and kill the coyotes. They will wiped out the coyotes after the wolves moved in. Never seen a single coyote, a wandering dog or a fox on our property after the wolves moved in. I just rather have coyotes than wolves.

Coyotes outnumber wolves here about 6 to 1, and move in packs of several, while wolves stay lone or in pairs. When a pack of coyotes moves in, the timbers move out. When the mange gets bad in the coyotes, the wolves move back in and the trouble begins. Coyotes stick to the mice and rabbits. Wolves head straight for fawns and then the calves.

Aaron":295g9946 said:
Taurus":295g9946 said:
Aaron":295g9946 said:

Coyotes outnumber wolves here about 6 to 1, and move in packs of several, while wolves stay lone or in pairs. When a pack of coyotes moves in, the timbers move out. When the mange gets bad in the coyotes, the wolves move back in and the trouble begins. Coyotes stick to the mice and rabbits. Wolves head straight for fawns and then the calves.
You must having a wolf that is just passing around instead of settled down. In my experiences, once they settled down, they will evicted any canids including a coyote pack out of their territory and very seldom that coyotes will reclaim the territory. The wolf pack here is around 9 wolves without pups. They do not stay in pairs or lone. Coyotes will eat fawns as well. The reason why Id rather have coyotes because they do not have any radio collars on.

Haha. Her's the solution, take the wolf down, get a stray dog from the pound, and put the collar on him, and let him go :)

Seeing that the coyotes around here are 'good' for the most part, I would hate to know how many rabbits, rats, and mice we'd have if they weren't around. We're up to 25 packrats trapped this year already, record is about 45, so we're on track for that.

Nesikep":2ika4gsb said:
Haha. Her's the solution, take the wolf down, get a stray dog from the pound, and put the collar on him, and let him go :)

Seeing that the coyotes around here are 'good' for the most part, I would hate to know how many rabbits, rats, and mice we'd have if they weren't around. We're up to 25 packrats trapped this year already, record is about 45, so we're on track for that.

Coyotes do little or nothing for packrat populations They are some great rabbit killers though.

speaking of good vs bad animals, we have "good" ravens around here.. it's just one pair (not a huge flock), and they have never caused us an ounce of grief.. They eat all the packrats we trap, they don't touch the fruit trees or bother the calves, and they're very funny company to have around... if they don't get their meal, they'll make low flights over us squawking and complaining. I now know where they nest, perhaps next year I'll have a pet ;)

Surprising that you say coyotes don't eat much packrat.. wonder why? Bobcats perhaps more?

Why bother killing what doesn't need to be killed?, I've got plenty of pests that do cause problems without worrying about the ones that don't. Bears are near the top of the list at this point, not so much because of the cows, but because of our garden, fruit trees, etc, and heck, mommas and young cubs are hazards to anything. It's been a really bad year for them.

I try to keep a murder of crows around, they help scare off hawks. At least they don't kill rabbits, even if they do get into the fruit trees.

I consider rabbits pests, so I'm happy for anything that'll eat them... I see one once in a while driving home at night, that's just right.

We have all sorts of hawks around here, big and small... The Kestrels had a good year and had about 5 little ones, they spent most of the summer eating grasshoppers, we have another fairly large hawk (30" wingspan or so) that nested here several years now.. I'm sure mice, squirrels, rats, and little birdies are his specialty, and then the very beautiful Harrier who does low flights over the fields.
I love the owls too.. if you remember some of the pictures I've posted of the Long eared owl (only seen him once, and had the camera with me by chance), and routinely see the Northern pygmy owls, which are excellent mouse hunters.