Coyotes And Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Ol' 243

Reaction score
Pulled up to my gate this morning and saw buzzards everywhere, I thought "oh shyt, my 5 day old calf is dead", thankfully all was fine. I drive to the area of the pasture the buzzards were in and find them eating on a dead coyote. No bullet holes in the yote, but he had been mangled pretty good. What's the chances the cows stomped him to death, I figure not very good, but I don't know how else he would have died.

Chances are better than you think. Was it a bytch? They can get really stupid when their nursing pups. Which is now. Hunger actually. They eat up all the food in the little are their litter has em restricted to, and start doing stuff they wouldn't usually do. You ever grabbed a calf out in the pasture. It bawls and had the whole herd show up at a run.?

That's unusual, most of the time buzzards won't touch a yote around here. I've watched my cows stomp a coon to death, but never a yote. Seen them chase them, though.

I've found something interesting to mess with the local yotes, and amuse the neighbors. Whenever I shoot one, I tie the back feet together and hook it to the back of my four wheeler, then drag it around the fencelines of the place until the hide is pretty much gone. Once I'm done with that, I hang them in a tree near where the yotes cross/congregate - where they do their "come together" yipping rally about an hour or so after dark. It's pretty funny to hear the change in their voice the first time they sound off after finding their buddy in a tree all torn up, and most of the time we won't hear them again for a couple months after that. I figure it lets them know there's a bigger alpha around and they scatter for a bit. If nothing else, it amuses me.

More than likely she got over in another pairs territory and they took her out. There is not a cow alive that can run down a yote.
They are very easy to call this time of year as they are very aggressive to intruders in their hunting territory trying to raise this years litter.
They will call in the daytime just as well as after dark right now, they will come in hot and fast.
Right now I leave them alone as they are rough on the pigs trying to feed that litter. Very seldom see scat that is not full of hog hair.
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Caustic Burno":2pnsbsta said:
More than likely she got over in another pairs territory and they took her out. There is not a cow alive that can run down a yote.
They are very easy to call this time of year as they are very aggressive to intruders in their hunting territory trying to raise this years litter.
They will call in the daytime just as well as after dark right now, they will come in hot and fast.
Right now I leave them alone as they are rough on the pigs trying to feed that litter. Very seldom see scat that is not full of hog hair.
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

They have cleaned out the groundhogs around here. They get a pass in my book for that.

Ol' 243":oj0k4i4j said:
callmefence":oj0k4i4j said:
https://youtu.be/CwgRQEO8iKA

Thanks for sharin' :tiphat:

Thanks here too. Never heard that. I know the "old days" here hard days, but I think I could adapt. As for the coyotes, they are probably the most adapted animal on the planet. Survivalists if you will. Feral hogs have gotta be a close second.

They pretty much ignore coyotes here. But birds? Look out.
While the cows back home in AL were just fine with cattle egrets in close quarters, mine here will chase flights of CEs all over the place... and once, a couple of years back, I found what was left of a great blue heron that made the poor choice to sail in and land at one of the tire water tanks... cows had trampled him flat.
If only they'd treat buzzards with as much contempt. They pretty much ignore them, letting 'em wander around eating calf poop to their hearts' content...don't know if they'd mob 'em if some were going for a calf or down cow - but I'd hope they would.

Friend of mine had 3 yotes in the field, he shot 2 and the cows took off and killed the 3rd, lead cow was a longhorn with real big horns, she picked him up and flung him back, rest of the herd powerstomped it..
There's a series of pictures of a pair of cows that *nearly* took down a black bear, he probably had some broken ribs, he was getting rolled around like a rag doll

Just one of the pictures.. Don't mess with mad momma cows.. I think he's not going to wander around there again!

Latest posts