Cows wasting hay

Help Support CattleToday:

rjbovine

Reaction score
I'm feeding free choice fescue/orchardgrass large round bales in round feeder and feeding approx 5lb. of roll corns/1% supplement per head per day . Also 24% protein tub free choice . Cows body condition score I would guess 6+ . My question is by feeding this amount of corn/supplement would this be the reason they leave large amounts of hay on the ground? Cows are in a woods for wind break . Just looks like the cows are using a lot of hay for bedding . Thanks for your replies.

rjbovine":e4w6lm54 said:
I'm feeding free choice fescue/orchardgrass large round bales in round feeder and feeding approx 5lb. of roll corns/1% supplement per head per day . Also 24% protein tub free choice . Cows body condition score I would guess 6+ . My question is by feeding this amount of corn/supplement would this be the reason they leave large amounts of hay on the ground? Cows are in a woods for wind break . Just looks like the cows are using a lot of hay for bedding . Thanks for your replies.
Depends on the quality of the hay. I don't see any reason to feed the corn.
PS IMO round feeders are hardly worth paying for. Just ahead of nothing. Invest in a cradle type up off the ground.

i know there is alot of talk about how the elavated feeders save hay but my cows waste it by all the hay they pull out of the feeder when they r eating.how does an elavated feeder stop this?

piedmontese":3d7oc0df said:
i know there is alot of talk about how the elavated feeders save hay but my cows waste it by all the hay they pull out of the feeder when they r eating.how does an elavated feeder stop this?
They don't pull as much out at one time. Secondly cattle tend to like to eat off the ground like grass. Hay that drops on the ground in front of them they are more likely to eat. With round feeders it is more like a pastue where they just keep on going forward. IMO the most economical feeder in the long run is a bale unroller and only feed the what they need or will clean up in one evening. They may even make one that hooks to a trailer hitch, I have no idea. If they don't they should. There are more than a few folks that don't own a tractor.

Been building and modifying hay rings regularly, and still can't keep the cows from wasting hay. Putting legs on the ring and a bottom has been the best so far. The rings with the solid bottom half also save a little more. :bang: I am building a hay unroller this week, tired of messing around. Found some pictures of them on a Google search, they look easy to build.

When I fed 4 foot bales in a 7.5 foot diameter feeder I had a lot less waste then I do now with a 5 foot bale. Now from a 5X5 bale I get about enough waste to fill a 50 pound fed sack. FWIW

dun":r8ieyzrz said:
When I fed 4 foot bales in a 7.5 foot diameter feeder I had a lot less waste then I do now with a 5 foot bale. Now from a 5X5 bale I get about enough waste to fill a 50 pound fed sack. FWIW

Dun, I absolutely agree. My hay processor rolls tight 5x6 rolls. He's a friend and very reliable; however, I'm convinced that my hay waste would be reduced by smaller rolls in my hay-rings. Also I'm now using some of the cone feeders and with the large rolls I've thus far been unable to dump them exactly vertical or horizontal. Resting on a slant makes the hay hard for the cows to reach.

dun":2yspq51r said:
It helps me to unroll part of the bale, then put about 1/2 in the ring. They always seem to eat what is unrolled first.

Isomade":10azdtgj said:
dun":10azdtgj said:
It helps me to unroll part of the bale, then put about 1/2 in the ring. They always seem to eat what is unrolled first.
This year instead of 5x5 I think I'll shoot for 4x5. The unroller I would like to find is one of these:
http://www.worksaver.com/product/SpinOff.html
10 years or so ago almost every farm sale around here had one. Haven;t seen one now since

dun":31xu3g8g said:
Isomade":31xu3g8g said:
dun":31xu3g8g said:
This year instead of 5x5 I think I'll shoot for 4x5. The unroller I would like to find is one of these:
http://www.worksaver.com/product/SpinOff.html
10 years or so ago almost every farm sale around here had one. Haven;t seen one now since
I have never had a problem unrolling rounds with the front end loader. I just point the forks down, put it in a low gear, and give it some gas, then just flip the bale and keep driving with my front wheel pushing the bale. That's the way we have done it for years.

Isomade":9y710we4 said:
I have never had a problem unrolling rounds with the front end loader. I just point the forks down, put it in a low gear, and give it some gas, then just flip the bale and keep driving with my front wheel pushing the bale. That's the way we have done it for years.
I have an aversion to driving on the hay in the snow and mud, rather it came off the back. I hate the unrollers that lays the hay full width

dun":7vwdk7h5 said:
Isomade":7vwdk7h5 said:
I have an aversion to driving on the hay in the snow and mud, rather it came off the back. I hate the unrollers that lays the hay full width
Makes sense, we don't have much of either here.

spinandslide":3his3vl1 said:
agree with Red Bull Breeder..make 'em clean it up.
I expect that cattle don't eat around their crap in the pasture for good reason. (Transfer of parasites and desease.)
I don't force them to eat it in the hay.

Suzie Q":xxokdet9 said:
If you give them too much:-

1st day dining room.

2nd day bed room

3rd day bathroom

The calves bed down in mine as soon as I unroll it. Cows eat around them but there's certainly crap in it the first hour or so. Over all I prefer unrolling because what waste there is doesn't cause mud holes and dead spots. Plants a little seed too.

Red Bull Breeder":3bmbfunl said:
Don't give them more till they clean up what they have.

i agree with this. we use a 3 pt. bale processor when we do feed hay and put out enough for 4 days. let them clean it up. we havnt had any sick from parasites cause of it.

and yes they do make a bale unroler that can hook to back of bumper hitch. cousin has one. says it works real nice for him cause just unrolls a few bals and dumps some cake without ever starting a tractor.

Lon":339z4zet said:
Red Bull Breeder":339z4zet said:
Don't give them more till they clean up what they have.

i agree with this. we use a 3 pt. bale processor when we do feed hay and put out enough for 4 days. let them clean it up. we havnt had any sick from parasites cause of it.

and yes they do make a bale unroler that can hook to back of bumper hitch. cousin has one. says it works real nice for him cause just unrolls a few bals and dumps some cake without ever starting a tractor.
What is a three point "Bale Prosessor" look like?

Latest posts