Cows to Cycle

Help Support CattleToday:

endebt

Reaction score
Does any one pull thier calves off 24 hrs. before putting in thier bulls. I have been doing it for about 3 yrs. twice a year. It seems to bring the cow in season. I calved 32 out of 35 in 29 days in sept. Just wondered if any one else ever did this. I got it from a old rancher alot of years ago.

I was told by one of the guys that helps us work cows, that if you pull a calf off a cow for 24 hours, if she's not already bred she'll come in heat shortly there after. Noticed it happen when we weaned a few last fall.

My AI tech says he gets better conception rates if you pull the calves for 24 hours before AI ing. It seems it would also cause stress for the mama cows tho too? Never tried it. Heard of people driving dairy cows/heifers (not sure which) around the section and them dump them back out too make them cycle.

TennCattleMan57":1c2iji1m said:
No i was talking bout moving the calves off of em. No as soon as a calve is on the ground I try and breed back. Thought we were talking bout getting the calves off of em. anyways

The topic was do you pull the calves for 24 hours before you breed. You mentioned seeing at weaning....

TennCattleMan57":77kj6zbg said:
No i was talking bout moving the calves off of em. No as soon as a calve is on the ground I try and breed back. Thought we were talking bout getting the calves off of em. anyways
Are you saying that you try to get your cows bred as soon as she calves. You gotta be a joke.

endebt":27iss566 said:
Does any one pull thier calves off 24 hrs. before putting in thier bulls. I have been doing it for about 3 yrs. twice a year. It seems to bring the cow in season. I calved 32 out of 35 in 29 days in sept. Just wondered if any one else ever did this. I got it from a old rancher alot of years ago.

Our vet highly recommends pulling the calves off for 12 to 24 hours to help bring the cows into season. I haven't used it enough to comment on results, but he also AI's and swears pulling the calves off is a good technique.

la4angus":1p54bs6z said:
TennCattleMan57":1p54bs6z said:
Are you saying that you try to get your cows bred as soon as she calves. You gotta be a joke.

:roll: :roll: :roll: WOW, I just thought I had heard it all. :shock:

Many people have told me to remove the calves for 24 hours when they are 2-3 months old to get the cow to cycle. Hence, creating a new live calf every 12 months.

The problem I'm facing is most of my cows mess up and cycle within 45-60 days after calving and give a new calf every 10-11 months. :cboy: :D

preston39":2mqlk08d said:
dusty,
Why does 45-60 days breeding present a problem? ;-)

Not Dusty, but some people want their cattle due at the same approximate time each year, whether it be spring calves or fall, coinciding with grass season or wheat pasture they want to schedule. If I take 100 head of stockers, all uniform and sell, they will get the attention of more buyers translating into better price than say varying size and age animals (uniformity)

old_cowboy":304s4ddm said:
preston39":304s4ddm said:
dusty,

Not Dusty, but some people want their cattle due at the same approximate time each year, whether it be spring calves or fall, coinciding with grass season or wheat pasture they want to schedule. If I take 100 head of stockers, all uniform and sell, they will get the attention of more buyers translating into better price than say varying size and age animals (uniformity)
I would think that a so called cattleman wouldn't have to ask the above question that old_cowboy answered.

This is probably a dumb question, but pulling calves for 24 hours is not something I've ever heard of and I was just wondering why a cow would cycle sooner or settle better when she is under stress due to a missing calf? I've always thought that the less stress prior to breeding the better. What am I missing? Thanks!

msscamp":2ra6vqe6 said:
This is probably a dumb question, but pulling calves for 24 hours is not something I've ever heard of and I was just wondering why a cow would cycle sooner or settle better when she is under stress due to a missing calf? I've always thought that the less stress prior to breeding the better. What am I missing? Thanks!

*Might* have something to do with the fact that "running" the reproductive system AND feeding a calf is a heavy workload on a cow. By pulling the calf for 24 hours, you'd make her body think she's being dried off...reducing part of the load. So if she's close to being ready to start cycling, it might bring her up a little quicker.

(I've heard tell in beef cows the reproductive system takes first priority over milk, in dairy it's the other way around...I have seen the latter one first hand. A dairy animal's repro system will shut down due to poor nutrition, disease, etc, but they'll keep milking almost until their last breath. Beef cow would just dry herself off.)

I wouldn't think that with that kind of stress a cow would breed back on the first cycle, but by then she would be cycling and could possibly/would hopefully "take" on the next cycle.

Just my wild guess - to be honest, I'm not really certain. ;-)

la4angus":2kspejx2 said:
old_cowboy":2kspejx2 said:
preston39":2kspejx2 said:
dusty,

I would think that a so called cattleman wouldn't have to ask the above question that old_cowboy answered.

la4angus, Being new to the board, I didn't want to jump to any obvious conclusions...................yet ;-)

msscamp":2lxtnkzk said:
Thank you, Milkmaid. That makes more sense than anything I could come up with.

You're welcome... but like I said, it's just a guess. ;-)

i've never heard of pulling them off for 24 hours but i have heard of pulling them off for 48 hours. I know a calf suckling causes a neuroendocrine response in the cow resulting in the release of oxytocin which makes it harder for a cow to get bred, i bet that helps but that alone wouldnt do it. It must cause a spike of E2 or Lh or something i'd have to look it up.

Latest posts