Cows Lethargic after vaccinations/worming

Help Support CattleToday:

Ebaker

Reaction score
Did fall vaccinations/worming on Sunday and noticed on Monday that all 6 cows are acting very lethargic (walking slowly and a little unsteady; won't run to feed as usual, etc). All are still eating, pooping, peeing normally and are in very good body condition. Never had this happen before and since all 6 seem to be acting the same way, I'm wondering if perhaps something went wrong while they were being worked. Vaccines were new bottles with exp date of 2013; used new needles for each injection but used the same syringes; and pour on wormer was used. Wondering if maybe the one of the vaccines was bad, or the needles/syringes were not sterile out of their packaging could cause this.

Have a call in to the vet but don't expect to hear from him until late afternoon as that's when he typically returns calls. Thought perhaps someone here might have some thoughts/ideas. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Sometimes just the stress of going thru the chute and being pushed and prodded on will make them act this way for a day. I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Keep an eye on em for a couple more days. Bet they're back to normal by tomorrow.

I appreciate that you took the time to comment since no one else has, but considering it's already been 5 days and we've never experienced anything similar in years past, I'm really inclined to think it's something other than temporary discomfort from being in the chute. Did talk to Vet and he suspects something "not right" with one of the vaccines, but offered nothing more than "give it 7 to 10 days from the date of the injections and if there's still no improvement, call me back." Can't help but worry because I've read/heard about cows dying from getting dosed with tainted vaccines but nothing about if there's any viable intervention indicated.

I have been told that never to use pour on between Thanksgiving and Christmas. This is because the larve from the heel flys can be moving through the spine during that time and killing it can cause problems. Don't remember what all the problems were and it may be a different time according to where you live.
Lucky_P where are you, what do you say?

kenny thomas":1kf6b2mh said:
I have been told that never to use pour on between Thanksgiving and Christmas. This is because the larve from the heel flys can be moving through the spine during that time and killing it can cause problems. Don't remember what all the problems were and it may be a different time according to where you live.
Lucky_P where are you, what do you say?
Different areas have a different time frames for grubs to be a problem with when you kill them. In this area we do it before the first of November.

Vet very specifically stated that the wormer would not have caused this reaction. We did work them much later than usual this fall; other things just got in the way. Thanks for the input.

Ebaker":2rs6k68j said:
Vet very specifically stated that the wormer would not have caused this reaction. We did work them much later than usual this fall; other things just got in the way. Thanks for the input.
Don't know what different injections you gave them but when giving multiple vaccinations plus vitamins, worming, etc. I've had cattle have reactions but it was just lethargy...they'll fall out like you knocked them in the head. Was told by one vet it was too many gram negatives at once. A shot of epinephrine brought them around quickly. I think if your's were more serious you'd had more severe problems by now.

TexasBred":87uh9uat said:
Ebaker":87uh9uat said:
Don't know what different injections you gave them but when giving multiple vaccinations plus vitamins, worming, etc. I've had cattle have reactions but it was just lethargy...they'll fall out like you knocked them in the head. Was told by one vet it was too many gram negatives at once. A shot of epinephrine brought them around quickly. I think if your's were more serious you'd had more severe problems by now.
The knocked them in the head condition is anephalactic shock and epenephrine is the treatment, if you have time

Pretty sure it isn't a case of anaphylactic shock either since that typically occurs very shortly after injections are given. These cows didn't become noticably lethargic until about 24 hours later and it's continued now for over 5 days with no change. Perhaps I should have emphasized that this isn't a case of only 6 out of the "whole herd" reacting, we ONLY worked these 6.

Thanks for all the brainstorming thus far; any additional thoughts/suggestions are certainly welcome.

Did you use a live vaccine?

It might just be a really hot reaction-- although that shouldn't have been noticeable that quick.

Just in case find the vaccine bottles and keep them.

Howdyjabo":jmx7nupp said:
Did you use a live vaccine?

It might just be a really hot reaction-- although that shouldn't have been noticeable that quick.

Some live vaccines will do this, and that is why some vaccines are not recommended for calves.
High risk cattle can also get sick from handling stress before the vaccine catches, and that is why it's risky to buy cattle that have not had a least one set of shots.

Cattle which have been exposed to some of the viruses like bvd or ibr at some point in there life can become sick after being vaccinated with a ML vaccine. My questions would be for these sick cows...
...were they from dams who were FP protected during gestation
...have these cows been on a herd health program since birth?
...if this was a ML vaccine, is it a first time use for ML?
...were the injections given in the same sight or less than 6" apart?

All 6 cows have finally returned to normal behavior. Vet is convinced one of the vaccines was the culprit; perhaps it was tainted/contaminated at the manufacturer or had not been kept at the proper temperature at some point (certainly not by us!). Unfortunately, the bottles were burned with the trash so there's no way to check for sure. He's pretty sure they all came out of it unscathed. Thanks to all who commented.

Latest posts