cows don't eat mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

Respectfully, I don't believe there is any forage that will provide all the mineral and vitamin nutrition cattle need. True, some grasses in some conditions may come very close...you'll likely see very low mineral consumption then, regardless of palatability. Other grasses may be lacking in a number of minerals, and you'll likely see greater mineral intake, especially when that forage is mature or dormant. Encouraging mineral consumption is usually more important than figuring out how to limit it, or operating on the premise that "if they are not eating it, they must not need it". There are more unpalatability minerals on the market that shortchange cattle due to poor consumption than otherwise.

I agree rk but same mineral different locations. two places that comes to mind they have not touched their mineral all winter. other places they will eat a 50 lb. bag in a day.
go figure.
i ain't gonna catch em and tube em with mineral if they don't want it. :lol:
bif

Bif, I have seen that too and sometimes hard to determine reason why. Only thing I can see is to try to have the right type of mineral for particular forage and one that is as palatable as possible. Past that, keep it close to water, loafing area, etc.

Latest posts