cow's cycle

Help Support CattleToday:

jcarkie

Reaction score
i had a cow that bred 2 weeks after her calf was born last year 10/06 she aborted on 4/18 and came in heat 5/5 and again today. she is on my cull list but what causes this? any ideas?
had all shots (lepto/vibro), is it getting rebred so soon and not cleaned put good.

I would think that if the uterus didn't involute following the pregnancy that she either wouldn;t have settled or implantation wouldn;t take place. Anything to do with abd she wold have abored long before this.
She may have settled to the 2 week breeding then sloughed but with her hrmones screwed up may have nnot shed the CL till a later date. Or she just maynot have come back into heat even though she hadn;t settled. Tons of variables. Last year for some reason we had a lot of hthe cows com into standing heat 1 - 2 weeksfollowig delivery, the not comeback into heat again for another month or so, even htough they hadn;t been bred at that first heat.

dun

What caused the abortion? There are other diseases that cause abortion (you only mentioned lepto and vibrio vaccinations) - don't know about you location but we see neospora, BVD, listeria, mouldy feeds, nitrate poisoning etc all causing abortions

To get an answer you need to do some testing of the aborted foetus and of the mother at the time of the problem - no good asking a month later and getting an accurate answer!!!!

It is certainly possible for a cow to concieve again two weeks after calving and to carry that through to full term - I don't see the two weeks from calving to rebreeding as a big issue and could well be totally irrelevant. By your description she got pregnant in October and aborted in April (so she was 5-6 months pregnant?) - you will always get some abortions, this is totally normal. I wouldn't be worried about the odd loss - it is when they occur in larger numbers or in sudden clisters that I start to get worried about contagious or herd type problems.

i never found the fetus but saw the after birth hanging out. she was in heat again 5/24.

Latest posts