Cows breeding after calving

Help Support CattleToday:

groveman14

Reaction score
I bought 10 bred Brangus cows a while back and they began delivering on 12/12/05 and now, as of Jan. 28, we have 8 additions. The other two will deliver soon. Put a new 18 month Registered Black Angus bull in with them December 22nd. When, approximately, should the cows begin to cycle and be ready to rebreed? How long should I keep the bull in with them? I haven't actually seen him perform yet, but he appears to be mightly interested in the cows. He has been semen tested, etc. and is guaranteed. Any info would be appreciated. thanx, Sam

to get them all bred.you need to leave the bull with the cows for 90 to 120 days after the last 2 cows calve.

Cows can start cycling anywhere from a week to 60+ days after calving, depending on their nutrition and management. If you have a cow that had to have her calf pulled and she had a retained placenta and uterine infection and she's not on the best feed - it's going to take quite awhile before she's ready to cycle and carry a calf again. On the other hand, with an easy birth and good feed and management, and I've seen them breed - and take - a week after calving.

when do you want them to calve? put the bull in middle of march they will calve like this year again. front page of cattle today there is a gestation table.

With good nutrition they should all be re-bred within 60 days of the last cows having their calves.

Latest posts