Cows Attacking Round Bales

Help Support CattleToday:

GotMyHandsFull

Reaction score
My cows are a mostly mellow group. You can walk among them, run you hands down their backs, etc. However, the last few times I've set out hay (round bales) some of the cows have absolutely destroyed then before I can fetch the nearest hay ring. This morning, a couple of the cows must have pushed one thirty yards until their was nothing left. If I get off the tractor and step toward them, they stop, but then start back when I get back on the tractor. Is this just a form of play for them? Once I get the rings on, they settle right back down and start eating.

If they do this like mine do, they are just feeling good/playing, or maybe just getting a good head scratching. My calves and the young bull do it most often, but that most often puts a kink in a cow or two's tail as well. :lol:

I like them feeling good, but sometimes when they are on the south hill and hear my truck at the barn, they will come down the hill doing that, bags a knocking and jumping/kicking. Makes me a little nervous.

Used to have a bull that would fight with the rear wheel of the tractor and or the bale on the loader. Cows never bothered anything. Deepsouth probably nailed it though. A few of mine have lice and or mites and are scratching like crazy.

Ours do it given a chance. They've been poured for lice so it's just them feeling full of themsleves. They can be down in farthest part of the pasture and when they see me come in with a bale that run buck and kick all the way to the bale.

Mine started doing that in the last two weeks. I assumed they were needing to exercise their muscles as they are getting bored and stiff with standing around the feed area. Some of the cows jump high in the air and come down and spin around in a mock attack of the bale. When the other cows join in, they all start playing and pushing. They must feel good. Fun to watch.

My cows don't have lice. The bull will get almost on the ground and lay the side of his neck and shoulders at the bottom of the roll and push it around.

Sometimes, it's to get the outer layers off the roll and get to the inner stuff--other times just play. I learned long ago not to ever drop one near a fence too--they'll shove it right thru a fence before you can get a ring over it if you aren't watching. I try to move the rings first, then go drop the bale.

greybeard":24xfun0q said:
Sometimes, it's to get the outer layers off the roll and get to the inner stuff--other times just play. I learned long ago not to ever drop one near a fence too--they'll shove it right thru a fence before you can get a ring over it if you aren't watching. I try to move the rings first, then go drop the bale.

That's the way I put hay out too GB but for fun I think I'll let them have a chance at playing with a couple next time I'm up at the farm. Sounds like it would be fun to watch.

TennesseeTuxedo":3k7w3727 said:
greybeard":3k7w3727 said:

That's the way I put hay out too GB but for fun I think I'll let them have a chance at playing with a couple next time I'm up at the farm. Sounds like it would be fun to watch.

Me too. Only rarely do I drop one out of the ring. But worth the sport every now and then. :D

I've wopped them with a sorting stick and got them to stop. It's very dangerous. I had a bull get under one on a bale trailer and send it clean up in the air. Last year I had a pretty close call with a bull on one side of the hay trailer and me on the other. :shock:

I've noticed that my cows actually "do not" get overly excited when I put out a roll of hay. I know that grass isn't growing in the winter, but we do have a large area for them to roam, so I've thought that maybe they are getting a few bites here and there and aren't always hungry. I've also thought that maybe my hay is like eating cardboard and they just aren't too excited. Either way, they look fine, so I guess there is no need for alarm.

I feed 80 lb squares, and my cows have fun rolling them around until I get to cutting the twines.. The ones that aren't messing with a bale are busy caving in the doors of the old Chevy truck and rubbing on the corners of the deck.

The bull calf I sold to a friend (now 3 years old) attacks the bales on the FEL.. Trent is worried he's going to knock himself out on the bale spear that's a little longer than the bale. The bull likes to stand the hay rings on edge once they're done with them and lay in the leftovers.. he hasn't taken to rolling them around yet....

I like it when they attack cornstalk bales for bedding. Means I don't have to spread it myself haha they can be a lot of help!

inyati13":3vol1db1 said:
Mine started doing that in the last two weeks. I assumed they were needing to exercise their muscles as they are getting bored and stiff with standing around the feed area. Some of the cows jump high in the air and come down and spin around in a mock attack of the bale. When the other cows join in, they all start playing and pushing. They must feel good. Fun to watch.

My cows don't have lice. The bull will get almost on the ground and lay the side of his neck and shoulders at the bottom of the roll and push it around.

I've seen that many time with herd bulls as well. When the bale starts to move it just encourages them.

Pretty amusing and impressive. Only danger is the bull has no concern what direction the bale moves and who or what is in the way.

Latest posts