COWS ARE STUPID!!

Help Support CattleToday:

piedmontese

Reaction score
Yea i know at times it seems as if cows are pretty smart.but if they are so smart then why do they crap in the water tank? on there babys head while it is nursing,in the feed trough,on there self while laying down? the worst to me is in the water.you always know it when theres plenty of water in the tank after 2 hot days.then you gotta drain the tank and rinse it and everyone knows every time you move a metal tank theres a pretty good chance a leak will develope.any new tanks i buy n the future will b plastic.i would like one of the big rubber tire tanks but i dont know of anyone that sells them near me.i am in ks near wichita.

piedmont, if you're going the plastic tank route; the rubbermaid tanks have a lifetime warranty. i bought one a couple years back and although it's only a couple years, my tank destroying bull couldn't do a thing to it. i think they may be made up in wolcott - and who said cows are smart?

tsmaxx47":aex5z73a said:
piedmont, if you're going the plastic tank route; the rubbermaid tanks have a lifetime warranty. i bought one a couple years back and although it's only a couple years, my tank destroying bull couldn't do a thing to it. i think they may be made up in wolcott - and who said cows are smart?
They used to but I was told last year that they don;t have the same gaurantee anymore

Mine cows are too smart of their own good. They can read each other's mind. They take turns jerking me around. "Hey watch this. How long do you think its gonna take BHB to notice if I bend this post?" "Awe that aint nothing, I hid the calf so well he'll be hours looking......"

dun":3ohfdgar said:
tsmaxx47":3ohfdgar said:
They used to but I was told last year that they don;t have the same gaurantee anymore

I haven't been able to find any for a couple of years. Now all I can find are cheaper knock-offs. Thinking about ditching them all and going the auto tank route.

greatgerts":2atf9cvr said:
dun":2atf9cvr said:
tsmaxx47":2atf9cvr said:

I haven't been able to find any for a couple of years. Now all I can find are cheaper knock-offs. Thinking about ditching them all and going the auto tank route.
I just mount the little giant valves to them, makes it handy when you move pastures and water points.

It has been said that cows are the stupidest animal on earth but it is amazing how often they out smart cowboys.

piedmontese":2gxonvdp said:
Yea i know at times it seems as if cows are pretty smart.but if they are so smart then why do they crap in the water tank? on there babys head while it is nursing,in the feed trough,on there self while laying down? the worst to me is in the water.you always know it when theres plenty of water in the tank after 2 hot days.then you gotta drain the tank and rinse it and everyone knows every time you move a metal tank theres a pretty good chance a leak will develope.any new tanks i buy n the future will b plastic.i would like one of the big rubber tire tanks but i dont know of anyone that sells them near me.i am in ks near wichita.
There's a guy north of Tulsa giving those tires away. I got 2 from him this winter.

I've never had a rubbermaid-type tank leak. Even after cutting holes in them to join one tank to another, picking them up and hauling them 300 miles. Metal, yes. Hard plastics, yes.

And yes, cows can sometimes be stupid, to our way of thinking -- but smart enough that they won't drink or eat from something they've crapped in/on that you'll clean up, and good enough to clean up the babies. :)

Ryder":3h5vms8c said:
Dave":3h5vms8c said:
It has been said that cows are the stupidest animal on earth but it is amazing how often they out smart cowboys.
Just had to bring that up, didn't you? :mad:

Sorry, but it happens to me on a regular basis. In fact more regular than I want to admit.

Kathie in Thorp":37ajttyc said:
I've never had a rubbermaid-type tank leak. Even after cutting holes in them to join one tank to another, picking them up and hauling them 300 miles. Metal, yes. Hard plastics, yes.

And yes, cows can sometimes be stupid, to our way of thinking -- but smart enough that they won't drink or eat from something they've crapped in/on that you'll clean up, and good enough to clean up the babies. :)
The only holes I had in my rubbermaids was when I put a ax bit threw the side while cutting ice, lucky it was high on the side. :bang: :dunce:

If it's feasible pour yourself a concrete pad for the water trough and make it large enough that it extends about 24 inches farther all the way around than the edges of the trough. Theory is that cattle don't mind stepping up on the little elevation with their front feet to get a drink but will never back up onto an elevated platform necessary to shyt into the water trough.

TexasBred":p27755jc said:
If it's feasible pour yourself a concrete pad for the water trough and make it large enough that it extends about 24 inches farther all the way around than the edges of the trough. Theory is that cattle don't mind stepping up on the little elevation with their front feet to get a drink but will never back up onto an elevated platform necessary to shyt into the water trough.
this time of year mine dont need to... just aim in the general direction... and swing a tennis racket at it,, and watch it go through

This has nothing to do with stupidity - it has to do with a high fiber diet and liking nothing more than making your work harder. If you ate that much fiber you probably wouldn't be so good at holding it in until you got to the right spot either. ;-)

I was watching a bunch of about 12 cows yesterday for Heat and they were in the pen by the ditch. Over an hours time I watched 5 of them walk down to the ditch just to shyt in the water, they didn't even get a drink.

Hence the expression NEVER drink downstream from the herd.

Latest posts